Alias Error [OS X]

I have a NAS backup hdd. When I try to connect to it I get this error message...

"The alias "SERVER" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found."

When I try to "fix" it I cannot choose the file or my server to choose it. So how do I get around to fixing this?

Figured one of the Mac fans here could help me. :D

Thanks ahead of time.

try accessing the server from your finder via it's ip address. Open up Finder, go to "Go" and choose "Connect to Server" then in the field enter:

smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is obviously the IP of the NAS server.

Yep tried that and I get an error about the ip being right. I can ping it fine through a terminal. Just can't connect to it. I already checked out the samba config on the server to and it is on the same workgroup ast the rest of the computers on the network.

• 1 year later...
Guest spawn666

Hello there.

I have the same problem it seems.

I made an alias..soon as I restart my Mac the alias is broken.

I think I do know why..but don’t have a solution jet.

The problem with most nas drives is the boot period. When a nas is not used for a while the drive powers down a bit to save energy.

When the Mac starts and goes to the alias location it can’t access it for about 5 sec...by that time the Mac generates an error not being able to get to the file.

If you go to the file after the nas drive is booted you will not have that problem.

I am going to try to make a script ore something that copy's the alias files from the nas location but makes 2 attempts to access the nas drive. 1 for waking up the nas - then a delay - then the copy.

Maybe this will solve it...Will let you know.

Maybe someone else has a better idea?