HowTo make screenshots

qeldroma

me:

When i'm trying to do some screenshots nothing really happens. Where do they go?

I browsed my home, but nothing there?!

When i'm trying to do that by gimp, it can't handle the openoffice screens.....?!

Help!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ezroller:

if you use gkrellm, there is a plugin that will allow you to take screenshots. And I am pretty sure that it will handle the open office too. I'm not exactly sure why the gimp would not.

Germ:

When you do a screen capture with The Gimp, you have the option of a single window or the entire screen. When you do the screen capture, The Gimp should open a window showing it and allow you to choose where to save it and in what format.

I don't use open office, but I can't see why The Gimp would have probs with it.

me:

By the way: im using kde3, and there is a screencapture functionality on the print-key. So where are tey after shot??

I tried gimp and could capture all but screens with ooffice on it. Perhaps java ?!

GKrellm isn't the way, because i have to take a shot without it.

rolf:

When I open Screen Capture from 'K' > Multimedia > Graphics, a dialog is presented with a Save path (default my /home directory). This is for the 8.2 release kde.

tobyink:

When you take a screenshot with GKrellM, you've got GKrellM sitting in the corner of the screen on the picture Sad

When you take a screenshot with The GIMP, you've got The GIMP sitting in the corner of the screen on the picture Crying or Very sad

!! Solution !!

Simply switch to a virtual console, log in and run this command:

import -window root root.jpeg

This will take a screen capture of your X session. And (because the program itself is running on a virtual console) the screen capture program won't even be in the screen shot!!! It will save the file to your home directory.

Cool, eh? The power of the command line. Even X screen captures can be done from it!

me:

With gimp, i tried without OOffice, but it filled some parts of the screenshot black (dont really know why).

Ok, i found KScreen... under /multimedia/Grafik, and opened it in another virtual screen. Set 15 seconds, went back to my original screen, voilá, i got it without the tool Wink

But i give the console method a try now)

I don't know for Gnome2, but there's a cool applet for Gnome1.4 in Mandrake8.1 at least, that allows to take a screenshot of a window or the full screen.

Yves.

as was said before:

import -window root root.jpeg

will get the whole screen, and in the same manner:

import -windom gaim blah.jpeg

will get a screenshot of gaim.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest davebsr

How do i get the name of an application? I try

import -window mozilla moz.png

and

import -window mozilla-bin moz.png

no luck. I get "import: No window with specified id exists (mozilla)." or

"import: Unable to read X window image (mozilla-bin).

import: Missing an image file name." for each, respectively. *shrug*. help? is there and X tool?