No auto shutdown/switch off

Clitheroe

Hi, there.

I recently installed Mandriva 2007, but now it will not automatically poweroff and switch the PC off as it did befoe.

It goes through a sort of close down script then stops at a prompt which says "system halted' or words very much to that effect. I then have to disconnect the mains power suppy from the wall socket to switch off the PC entirely. Any ideas as to what the problem might be please?

David.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Guest Plisgyn

David

Click on yellow star in panel, then click on System and then Configure, click on Configure Your Computer and

enter root password when prompted. Then click on Boot and then on Configure how system boots make sure that

Enable ACPI is ticked then click on Finished. Reboot and see if it powersoff now.

Phil Jones

This could equally be a problem but I doubt this problem...which is the interaction between the software Powermanagement and your BIOS.

The problem is that back a few years when the power management stuff was being designed someone made a mistake... oops ... it was Microsoft ... so non of the power management stuff quite worked right because MS implmented it badly not according to the specification... this then caused the HW manufacturers to have to misimplement the power management in order for it to work with their BIOS .. and history has just got embedded...

YOu need the right combination of ACPI in bios and in the software setup... and its a bit trial and error...

However, almost certainly if tyou hold the power button for 6 secs it should switch off anyway...

I should be in Waddington in the next 2 weeks, I can take a look if you like...

I have never had acpi installed in 2 1/2 years and have never had problems in shutting down properly. I am speaking of a PC here and I realise that a laptop is a lot different.

I imagine it has a lot to do with the Mainboard manufacturer and I don't know what brand yours is but mine is Asus .

I would actually suggest you try something different and DELETE acpi and anything associated with it. I always have and I have long suspected that this is why I never have a problem on my PC.

Ckeers. John.

I have never had acpi installed in 2 1/2 years and have never had problems in shutting down properly. I am speaking of a PC here and I realise that a laptop is a lot different.

I imagine it has a lot to do with the Mainboard manufacturer and I don't know what brand yours is but mine is Asus .

I would actually suggest you try something different and DELETE acpi and anything associated with it. I always have and I have long suspected that this is why I never have a problem on my PC.

Ckeers. John.

Yep if your not using it then it causes more problems than it solves in many cases... its sometihng I try not to mess with myself because I just want to shutdown or not and any fancy stuff inbetween is not interesting but in general the less you need to use it the better in my experience.

Thanks, guys.

I was just looking at this thread which suggests that the problem is a bug of Mandriva 2007 and offers a workaround.

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...l=Mandriva+2007

On another angle, I tried to disable ACPI by unchecking the 'Enable ACPI' box from the 'Setup How The System Boots' menu under MCC, but the menu does not allow you to do so, in as much that it doesn't save the change. Anyhow, holding the power-off button in for a few seconds seems to work just fine, so no problem. :D

The easiest way is to edit the /etc/lilo.conf file if the gui doesn't save the setting correctly. You just add in the append= section the info from the previous post you linked here on the options to add to fix the problem.

Then rerun lilo to install the changes you just made.

The easiest way is to edit the /etc/lilo.conf file if the gui doesn't save the setting correctly. You just add in the append= section the info from the previous post you linked here on the options to add to fix the problem.

Then rerun lilo to install the changes you just made.

Thanks for that. I currently dual boot Mandriva 2007 (Ist HD) and Ubuntu 6.06 (2nd HD). If I rerun lilo, I think I will overwrite the GRUB bootloader, which allows me to boot into either OS. I often hear that it's easy to reinstall GRUB, but any attempt I've made to do so in the past has ailed abysmally.

Why would you want to stuff around with Lilo when you already have Grub installed ??? :huh: :huh: :huh: .

It is even expected that Grub will at last be the default boot loader in the next variation of Mandriva.

Cheers. John.

Why would you want to stuff around with Lilo when you already have Grub installed ??? :huh: :huh: :huh: .

It is even expected that Grub will at last be the default boot loader in the next variation of Mandriva.

Cheers. John.

Okay, John, that's probably a fair question, so just let me explain my dual boot setup. I installed Mandriva 2006 on my primary HD, accepting the default setup options, which automatically install LILO. I then installed Ubuntu 6.06 on my secondary HD, again accepting the default setup options, which, this time, automatically installs GRUB. I then had a nice dual boot setup that allowed me to boot into either OS on boot-up by means of a bootloader menu. Now, as I understand it, GRUB installs itself on the primary HD (the HD the PC is set to boot from). If, say, anything when wrong with Mandriva 2006 (on the primary HD) and I would have to reinstall - the new, fresh install, would automatically overwrite GRUB, which means I no longer have a bootloader menu - which in turn means, that when I power-on the PC, it just boots straight into Mandriva 2006 leaving me with no way of booting into Ubuntu 6.06!

Now, reinstalling GRUb is mean to be so easy. However, I have tried all the 'howtos' on how to reinstall GRUB and all have failed miserably. So, what this means now, is that I have to reinstall Ubuntu again to get things back to normal as far as dual booting is concerned. This is a complete pain in the neck - in that if one OS gets screwed up, it effectively means that I not only have to reinstall that, but I also have to reinstall the second as well (albeit there is nothing wrong with it) because I can't boot into it because the bootloader has been overwritten! Take this as an example:

I just upgraded from Mandriva 2006 to 2007, Okay, so I put the 2007 install DVD in and procede to 'upgrade' Mandriva 2006 on the primary drive. 2007, installs fine, but completly overwrites the GRUB bootloader, which means I can't now boot into Ubuntu 6.06. All is well again as I have reinstalled both OSs, 2007 (primary HD) and Ubuntu 6.06 (secondary HD) Fortunately, I had made full system backups of both OSs when I had them customised as I wanted them and my work saved on them, so I was able to restore things back to normal. However, if I could have just been able to reinstall GRUB, I would have been saved half the work! I'm not quiet sure what you're saying as Linux is very new to me, but do you mean if I had installed GRUB when I installed 2007 instead of LILO, I would have had no problem booting into Ubuntu?

Yes it would be a good idea to just use Grub in both cases.

The following is the method I use. This does not mean that you need to do reinstalls since you seem to have the setup I suggest already.

"Decide which of the two Linuxs you want to be your primary OS and install it on your Primary IDE. I recommend Mandriva. During the install, select Grub as your Bootloader to be installed on the MBR (Master Boot Record) of that Primary IDE.

Install the 2nd OS, again selecting Grub as the bootloader but this time to be installed onto a floppy disc this time so the 2nd Grub does not interfere with your earlier Grub install on the mbr. Remove the floppy.

When you boot up without the floppy you will boot naturally into your Primary OS. When you get into it then open up a root Konqueror by means of a console and typing in kdesu konqueror then your root password (If your OS is Mandriva).

Then open MCC ( if Mandriva) and Mount Points then Create, delete and resize hard disk partitions and go through the process of mounting the root partition of your second OS so that using the root Konqueror you can look in /Boot/Grub/menu.lst of that 2nd OS and Copy the group of lines (2 or 3) and then Paste it into the /boot/grub/menu.lst of your Primary OS.

Save the change and back out of everything and reboot.

Your boot menu should appear now with the choice of both OSs.

The advantage of doing things this way is that the Grub of the 2nd OS will not possibly screwup the first installed OS and in the event that the procedure I suggest doesn't quite work out, you can still boot into your second OS by just popping in the floppy disc and use the floppy workaround until you get the Grub menu correct."

Install the Grub.rpm on your Primary OS, Mandriva in your case, then open MCC........Boot .....Set up how the system boots and go through selecting GRUB with graphical menu etc.

If when you have installed the Grub, and when you reboot you find the mbr is carked then use the Cdrom install disc to clear and restore the mbr and boot loader

Cheers. John.

On the bootloader issue... You need only one of them, lilo or GRUB - whichever you like. Linux is a little trickeir to dualboot then Windows. It's not a big deal but because one may want to share swap, boot directory, home partition, etc., there is a variety of options for dualboot setup. Therefore, one way or another you end up editing bootloader config files by hand. You should always have a LiveCD or a resque disk handy in case you mess up something, and the computer no longer boots - this happened to me a month ago :D

Anyway back to the problem... Since you use GRUB and, I presume, can boot both Ubuntu and Mandriva from it, keep it that way :D Only thing you have to do is edit GRUB's menu.lst file. If you can access Ubuntu's boot partition from Mandriva, then you can do it from Mandriva. If you feel unsafe/uncomfortable doing so, boot into Ubuntu and edit /boot/grub/menu.lst from there.

Locate the section corresponding to Mandriva and edit the line starting with kernel. You need to add options to this line, as follows

kernel blah blah append= <options you want to try>

Options to try

acpi=on or acpi=off - turns ACPI on|off, Mandriva uses by default acpi=ht, don't know what this option means
noapic nolapic - Try one of these options or both. Cutting long story short, one of these options addresses inconsistencies in the power managment as described in Gowator's post.

I insist, you have to edit this line by hand, DO NOT USE Mandrake Control Center. If you do, it will replace GRUB with lilo (the default bootloader in Mandriva) in the MBR (Master boot record) from which your PC loads. Since you want to keep GRUB, forget about using MCC for this kind of tasks - unless you want reinstall one or both OSes.

With my respect AussieJohn, All is needed is just add a couple of options into one of the lines. One of the convenience of Linux is that all problems can be solved without reinstalling the OS.

Edited by coverup

Sorry coverup but your post was while I was editing my post. I was not suggesting doing reinstalls. Didn't you notice that most of what I wrote was contained in inverted commas ? It is a quote from an earlier time.

Your Point about MCC....... is not correct I have used the MCC for 2 1/2 years to select Grub and have never had MCC overide my Grub selection with Lilo.

With respect, if you have had such trouble then you must have been doing something incorrectly.

Cheers. John