boxed games for linux

null

If a linux users wants to play Quake 4, Doom 3, or others such as HL,HL2.... do they buy the retail box (windows)?

and then screw around with copying files, and then d/l a linux program?

or are there boxed versions that work on linux?

I was at EBGames today with my son, and I was looking at boxes of Doom 3, Quake 4, HL, and HL 2, but there was no metion of linux on the boxes (of course).

It all depends on which game it is. Some of them have an installer for Linux that you download from the net and then use the Windows retail CDs to install (most of the Id games are like that, iirc Doom 3 is too, not sure about Quake). Other games, like Unreal Tournament 2004 come with the Linux installer on the disc.

Of course, that is for games that have been ported to Linux (have a Linux version available). There are numerous lists of such games on here and elsewhere. You can also Google to find out what the installation procedure is for each of them.

As for Half Life 2 - there is no Linux version of that, but you can play it in Linux using Cedega. Cedega basically spoofs a Windows environment in a directory on your Linux system, along with libraries that provide compatibility with DirectX and allow Windows games to run. On the website there is a list of which games work with Cedega. I know HL2 is one of them because I played that.

Short answer: check on the Internet before hitting the stores ;)

All the Quake's and Doom's will work fine, and you need the retail product to legally use them, you just need to copy the required files. Quake3, Quake3 Team Arena, Quake4, Doom3, Doom3 ROE, you just download the latest official Linux version of the patch/point release, install it, then copy over the needed files, it's real easy. Quake(+mission packs), Quake2(+mission packs) Doom, DoomII, Final Doom, also work fine, you just need to get a Linux client, eg, Darkplaces for Quake, Doomsday/jdoom for the Dooms, and take your pick for Quake2 there is a few to choose from, install those, then copy the required .pak/.wad files over, again easy as. You can get the shareware version of Quake (maybe Doom as well) and use the .pak files from it in conjunction with your Linux client of choice, you will however not have the full game of course. But the best bet is to buy the games, they are cheap as now days.

Also don't forget to check out the free Wine (Cedega is based on an older version of it). It has improved very much and with some effort, you can get certain Windows games to run. For example I could install and play Keepsake perfectly, and Dreamfall ran with some technical shortcomings. Gabriel Knight II worked perfectly. Other games didn't run or could not get installed at all.

Will Q4 play OK on my "average" linux box (see sig)?

Null,

Per the Quake 4 box, the minimum requirements to run under Windows are as follows:

Intel Pentium 4 2.0Ghz or AMD Athlon XP 2000+ processor or higher

512MB RAM

English version of Microsoft Windows 2000/XP

100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 64MB 3D Hardware Accelerator video card

8X Speed CD-ROM drive with latest drivers

2.8GB of uncompressed free hard drive space (plus 400MB for Windows swap file)

100% DirectX9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card with latest drivers

100% Windows 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard with latest drivers

DirectX 9.0c included

-Bill

Well, people run Quake4 with lower system specs than you have, however if you find that Quake4 doesn't run as well as you would like, 1.3 has a an option to use ambient lighting, which they say will really speed things up for you, I think the cvar is r_forceAmbient, not exactly sure, as I don't use the setting, but you will be able to find it in the documentation. Also you can always download Q4max, which has it's own 'ambient light' feature, plus other tweaks available,

http://www.q4max.com/

• 3 weeks later...

According to my information, which of course I found on the web, one of the most anticipated game of the 2007, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, is going to be released on both, Windows and Linux platforms. Form me it's an excellent news, as I decided to move to ETQW from Battlefield 2 some months ago, before I even got any interests in Linux. And now there is a strong chance I'm gonna play it on my Mandriva Free 2007 :woot_jump:

Form more info:

http://www.enemyterritory.com/

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/enemyter...?q=quake%20wars