Java & Azureus How to

DarkFoss

I've seen a few questions about getting Azureus working in Mandriva on some forums. I've also had problems with my bank's website and it turned out to be

that the version of Java that was shipped with powerpack is already outdated the version shipped was 1.5.0_8 the new is 1.5.0_10

So I've written a how to from the point of already having Java installed and trying to run the Mandriva RPM of Azureus,which is based on a Free version of Java called 1.4.2 Bouncycastle and really just doesn't work for most people.

If you've just installed Mandriva without Java or Azureus you can skip the first 10 steps and head right to the installations

1. Open the MMC and do a search in installed software.

2. Search for Azureus and uninstall it.

3. Search for Java and uninstall all of it

4. Open a konsole su to root and launch konqueror as root.

5. Click on view and check the show hidden files.

6. Navigate to your home directory and delete the .azureus folder and the .java folder.

**Note do not send them to the trash instead click once to highlight then hit the Edit button and select Delete.

7. Navigate to /usr/java and delete any left over files/directories.

8. Go to /usr/lib and delete any left over Java folders

9. Go to /usr/bin and delete any Java executable/ shell script.

10.Go to /usr/lib mozilla-plugins and delete any symlink to the old java then go to /usr/lib/mozilla/firefox/plugins and do the same.

Once done close it out and go to http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and download the Linux RPM (self extracting file)

I downloaded it to /home/larry/Download/java

It should be jre1_5_0_10-linux-i586.rpm.bin

Now you can either follow the instructions here to finish installing java.

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000010500.xml#rpm

Or do what I did.

I opened a konsole and su'ed to root inside the /home/larry/download/java folder and issued the chmod a+x jre1_5_0_10-linux-i586.rpm.bin command

Next type ./jre-1_5_0-linux-i586-rpm.bin to start the building of the rpm. Accept at the prompt.

Then I simply right-clicked on the newly created rpm and choose open with Software Installer and entered my root password at the prompt.

If you did it my way go to step 2.

If you followed the directions on Sun's site do the next step

1. In the root console that was left open after issuing the install command and type konqueror.

Browse to /usr/java and highlight it then hit Edit Move File from the new box browse to /usr/lib or type it into the path and click ok.

2. Next while your in /usr/java right click scroll down to Actions open a terminal here. Since konqueror is root so will the terminal be no need to su first.

Type : ln -s /usr/lib/jre1_5_10 .

The reason I did this is two fold

1a. Mandriva's rpm installs java in /usr/lib so thats where I wanted the new java.

2a. Third party software such as Azureus downloaded from their homepage looks for java in /usr/java. Now you have a soft link already, it saves alot of headaches later.

3. Now in the terminal type cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and type :

ln -s /usr/lib/jre1_5_0_10/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

3a. Optional but I like to copy the newly created link directly into my webbrowser(s) plugin folder(s) What i do is navigate my root konqueror to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugin and click on it once to highlight it and hit ctrl+c then navigate to /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.5.08 or 2.0.0.1 /plugin and hit ctrl+v to paste it in It's easier than cd'ing around in the terminal do the same if you use seamonkey.

4. Now close out all the open root konsoles and konqueror Launch your webbrowser and head to http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp and hit the verify installation button to check your installation. If I haven't messed you up you should be greeted with : CONGRATULATIONS, you have the Latest version of Java!

Grats I hope !! now lets do Azureus.

1. Download the latest from http://azureus.sourceforge.net/download.php

2. I created a new folder in home called apps to unzip azureus to.

3. After unzipping azureus navigate to that folder and inside it locate the azureus shell script. It looks like a text file but just says azureus and if you hold the mouse over it you will see azureus (3.1 KB) Shell Script at the bottom of konqueror.

4. right click on it and select open with any text editor you are familiar with.

Personally I have gedit installed It's clean and doesn't complain when I run gedit as root

4a. Now right at the top you will see

######## CONFIGURATION OPTIONS ########

JAVA_PROGRAM_DIR="" # use full path to java bin dir, ex. "/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2/bin/"

#PROGRAM_DIR="/home/username/apps/azureus" # use full path to Azureus bin dir

#######################################

Change j2sdk1.4.2 to jre1_5_0_10 and save.

Notice the path Thats why I created the soft link earlier.. The less you change things the less likely you are to have problems later on.

5. Now if you are the only person that will be using Azureus then you can go ahead and run it and configure it .

Right click inside the folder scroll to Actions click on Open Terminal here and type ./azureus

Look at step 9 if you want it in your menu.

6. If you want to use it globally then you will need to do a few more steps. One open a konsole su to root and type konqueror.

7. Highlight the azureus folder and move it to /usr/lib the same way Java was moved earlier.

8. Now right click on the star and select menu editor then open the Internet box then open the File Transfer box.

9. Now click on file new item and type azureus in the new name box and hit ok

10.In Description type Azureus,

10a. in Comment type file transfer,

10b. in Command type the path to the azureus shell script (you can browse to it as well by clicking on the folder icon on the right.

Mine was '/home/larry/apps/azureus/azureus' if global it should be /usr/lib/azureus/azureus

10.c Now in work path type the path to the azureus folder or browse to it same as above.

Mine was /home/larry/apps/azureus if global it should be /usr/lib/azureus

11. Check the enable launch feedback box.

12. In the blank looking box to the right of Description and Comment click on that and browse to the azureus folder then click on the bluefrog azureus.png and save. Now you should be set to run Azureus from the menu.

Edited by DarkFoss

• 2 months later...

1. Open the MMC and do a search in installed software.

2. Search for Azureus and uninstall it.

3. Search for Java and uninstall all of it

4. Open a konsole su to root and launch konqueror as root.

5. Click on view and check the show hidden files.

6. Navigate to your home directory and delete the .azureus folder and the .java folder.

**Note do not send them to the trash instead click once to highlight then hit the Edit button and select Delete.

7. Navigate to /usr/java and delete any left over files/directories.

8. Go to /usr/lib and delete any left over Java folders

9. Go to /usr/bin and delete any Java executable/ shell script.

10.Go to /usr/lib mozilla-plugins and delete any symlink to the old java then go to /usr/lib/mozilla/firefox/plugins and do the same.

Thank you so much for these valuable instructions. I found the installation instructions on sun easy enough, but had difficulties ridding myself of 1.4.3 until I found your 10 step plan.

One suggested addition: You did not mention anything about redoing the soft links to java and javaws deleted in step 9. Azureus may not require them, but some other programmes do. Is it worth adding?

Thank you again for helping me out of a difficult situation.