PC does not power-down automatically [solved]

xoox

Hi.

With Mandriva 2007 my PC does not power down automatically any more (it did so with Mandriva 2006). The shutdown procedure seems to work normal and it stops with

Halting system...

System halted.

The HDD's are turned off but the fans are still running and alo the shutdown messages stay on the screen.

Automatic power down does work with Windows on the same machine so I don't think it is a hardware problem.

Anything I can try to make this work with Linux as well?

I have the same problem and first tried adding just:

apm=power-off

but it made no difference so I tried adding:

apm=on apm=power-off

The computer still will not power off completely. I do get the final "System halted" message but I have to physically turn off the computer by pressing the power button.

The line in my lilo.conf file is now:

"acpi=off resume=/dev/sda5 resume2=swap:/dev/sda5 splash=silent apm=on apm=power-off"

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Joaopa, thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that but unfortunately it didn't make any difference... the darn thing just refuses to power off! Oh well, I guess I'll just have to live with switching it off myself. It is annoying though when Windows will power it off. Also the actual box is in another room on the other side of the house. :wall:

Thanks anyway.

• 1 month later...
Guest gaiterin

Hi. Excuse my english, i put in better in spanish, but i will try in english too.

My Ubuntu, Windows xp, Knoppix, not problen for power off, but Mandriva 2007 not power off.

It disconnet the hard disk, but not the power.

I try more solutions in the grub, but the Mandriva not power off :(

I repair it, modifiqued the bios.

I modifiqued the BIOS as "Power Management Setup".

- ACPI: Enabled.

- Power Management -> User define -> In submenu, all disable.

- ACPI Suspend type -> S1 (POS).

- PM Control by APM -> Yes.

Soft-off by PWRBTN -> Instant off

CPU Fan in suspend -> On

Wake up Events -> all disabled.

And SOLVED! :D

In spanish, if you don't undertand my english, try a translator as google ;)

Hola.

A mi tampoco me apagaba el ordenador Mandriva 2007 (Sin embargo en Windows XP u otras distribuciones de Linux como Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Knoppix... sí apagaba).

Hacia el ruido de desactivar los discos duros, y activaba las luces del teclado, e incluso (lo peor), anulaba el botón de encender el ordenador. Debía dar a reset, y luego a apagar.

Modifiqué el arranque de Grub como decian en muchos foros pero no solucioné nada.

La solución la encontré modificando la BIOS.

En mi placa, aparece como "Power Management Setup". Yendo ahí, la función ACPI estaba desactivada, por lo que pase a ponerla activada (Enabled).

También modifiqué el menú entero, de la siguiente manera (por si acaso no era solo esa de arriba):

- Power Management -> User define -> Dentro del submenu, todo disable.

- ACPI Suspend type -> S1 (POS).

- PM Control by APM -> Yes.

Soft-off by PWRBTN -> Instant off

CPU Fan in suspend -> On

Wake up Events -> Todo disabled.

Con esto apaga perfectamente :D

Espero que pueda ayudar a alguien.

Un saludo

Marcos.

• 3 months later...

This is an update in case it may help others with the same problem.

First, I did try other kernels but no go.

I recently upgraded to Mandriva Spring (2007.1) with a clean install and same problem. Also tried the tmb-desktop-smp kernel - still no go.

I then installed Debian Etch (4.0 r0) which performed an overwrite of Mandriva's grub with settings Debian thought were required for my system and voila! the computer powers off. Debian added the same settings to the Mandriva boot options so now Mandriva also powers off the computer. :D

The boot options required for this system are:

noapic nolapic pci=noacpi

As a side note: this system will NOT boot without the pci=noacpi option, including both distro installations.

HTH someone.

Edited by skinky