Nvidia Driver 9629

tyme

Release Highlights

* Added initial support for GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap.

* Added new "Display Configuration" page in nvidia-settings.

* Improved workstation OpenGL performance in Xinerama.

* Added support for NVIDIA Quadro Plex.

* Added support for Quad SLI.

* Improved X driver error recovery.

* Improved workstation overlay performance.

* Added SMBus functionality to the Linux/i2c interface.

* Fixed DFP scaling support.

* Added support for OpenGL 2.1.

* Added new "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" X configuration option to control the order of display devices when in TwinView.

* Fixed some problems related to TV Out.

* Added new NVIDIA logo artwork to nvidia-settings and X driver splashscreen; the X driver splashscreen can now be configured with the new "LogoPath" X configuration option.

Get it here. It's a much-needed updated.

Works like a charm, it's the best nvidia driver release IMHO. and still works with beryl (and games ofcause) so I'm happy!

By the way I love the new nvidia logo that appear when you log into X.

If you were using XGL prior to this release, I highly suggest attempting to change to AIGLX since these drivers support it, and it doesn't require you to have XGL (the modified X server) installed - you just use regular X.org

you guys'll disagree, but i've seen one case where a machine i administer behaved worse after the updgrade that i installed yesterday. we backed that machine down to an older release.

Does this mean that I won't be using a dkms nvidia driver from Mandriva any more? That is the only way I've ever used an nvidia driver.
You can get pre-built RPMs for Mandriva 2007 here. Note they are considered "testing". Download all three for your platform into their own directory and just do:
urpmi *.rpm

there shouldn't be any performance difference, as in either method you are still getting the exact same driver (they can't change the nvidia driver code, it's closed source). it's simply your preference, plus the fact that using the rpm built for mandriva is the "safer" option - as they usually work out any distro-specific oddities (er, dependencies) that one could run into. Plus, if you were using the rpm packages previously, it's always best to keep using them.

If you were using XGL prior to this release, I highly suggest attempting to change to AIGLX since these drivers support it, and it doesn't require you to have XGL (the modified X server) installed - you just use regular X.org

Ok, I'll look into it.

you guys'll disagree, but i've seen one case where a machine i administer behaved worse after the updgrade that i installed yesterday. we backed that machine down to an older release.

Still using 9626 beta, and had absolutely no problems with it- so I fail to see why the final could turn out being a lemon...

I,too, have a fairly new nvidia card ( 7600 GS/256 MB).

Same here with (so called) newer card; 6600GT 256mb

If I ever install another driver from cooker, just shoot me -- I'll deserve it. After installing I rebooted the system. I got a black screen with the cursor in the upper left corner. System was dead. Luckily I had taken a backup before I did it. Am still trying to restore my system back to normal.

I'll stay with the driver I have.

You can recover from the black screen and cursor real easy without a reinstall.

Just press CTRL-ALT-F1 to get a console, login, and then do:

service dm stop

to stop the X server running, and then remove the packages you installed from cooker. Then use mcc from the command line to reconfigure your display for the default nv or vesa driver, and then start again.

dkms packages should become available, and these are good, because when they update automatically, on rebooting it injects the new module into your system. Saves you having to download the new one manually, and entering a few commands to get it to work.

Of course, you have to get the updates through the gui, or the command line, but it's one command versus manually visiting the nvidia website, downloading, and then installing where necessary.