mandriva 2006 installation problems

Guest izu

i want to install Mandrivia along side window XP and all its application in C: but After i insert the DVD and restart the computer , everything is OK and the install splash screen comes up, once i hit enter and the install progress bar is completed, all i get is a blank screen and cannnot proceed any further. I tried every option to install but same thing keeps happening. i also tried installing mandrakes 10 with same problem. Also tried everything using the boot> prompt with text with no success.

My current set up:

HDD: 1x80 gb ATA

RAM:512 MB

Intel®82915G/GV/910GL Express chipset

i need help badly as i need linux to run climate models at work.

I was going to resize the windows partition using the linux cutom partition tool and make space for the linux. i have data on windows i do not want to loose. i just backed up my hdd so i can format if it comes down to that but am afraid it might be a hardware problem associated with that particular intel chipset. how do i use the noapic nolapic argument exactly?

Boot using the arguments like this:

linux noapic

and see if that does the trick. If not, you can add more to the end of the line, eg:

linux noapic nolapic

and so on. Others are acpi=off, and even ide=nodma if it's problems with ide disks, but this will make it real slow for accessing the ide drives, so let's hope the others work first.

Make sure you have Mandriva 2006 or Mandriva One Live CD to do the install, more up-to-date, Mandrake 10.x doesn't get updates anymore, and LE2005 will follow shortly.

i tried booting using the arguments : linux noapic and linux noapic nolapic but its not working.

and am using the Mandriva 2006 to do the install.

Before doing anything make certain that you defrag Windows before attempting to do any repartitiong and secondly make sure that, in the bios, you have disabled plug-n-play.

These two points may not be the cause of your problem but should always be done whenever doing a dual boot on a hard drive for the first time even if the Windows OS is newly installed .

Cheers. John.