Gnome vs KDE? [solved]

linux n00b

Is it just a Gnome thing that it opens new windows when u browse through directories and click on one. I hate this, cuz i end up with tons of windows

I may switch to KDE if that is the case

also which one is more popular? I use Gnome cuz I was told its more like real Unix

[moved from Other Distros by spinynorman]

I think that it is a customization setting that can be changed, whether gnome or kde. Since I use kde, I am more familiar with it, but I am certain that gnome has a setting. Check it out. Look, explore, have fun! That's what freedom of choice is all about.

Which version of Gnome are you using? In 2.10 you can tell a nautilus (gnome file browser) to open folders in a same window, you can find it somewhere in a nautilus' window menu (I'm with XP right now so can't tell exactly how to do that). In Gnome 2.6 (which is used in Mandrake 10.1 for example) this feature is disabled.

You can go into the GConf Editor, browse apps, nautilus and preferences, and then tick the box for always use browser, or something like this.

Then Nautilus will open everything in one window, instead of opening separate windows for each click/double-click.

No need for gconf. Simply open a nautilus window. Now go to the top menu bar and select:

edit → preferences → behaviour tab → check "always open in browser"

That's it. ;)

No need for gconf. Simply open a nautilus window. Now go to the top menu bar and select:

edit → preferences → behaviour tab → check "always open in browser"

That's it. ;)

Ah, something else for me to remember :P Nice one :beer:

real old-fashioned Unix is CDE :P

XFCE looks (at least looked) much more Unix(CDE)-like, since it was originally build as a CDE-clone (CDE is the classic GUI on many commercial Unixes)