Tremulous..

foot

It's kinda old news now, but as I can't find anything on this board, it's worth mentioning that the standalone version of Tremulous has been released. For those that don't know, Tremulous is/was a Alien vs Human Quake 3 mod that has been made standalone since the Quake 3 source has been released. The game is (obviously) a FPS though has elements of RTS, through base building and expansion and climbing throught tech / alien levels as kills are made.

For those of you have tried it before (when it was a mod) and found the servers rather empty..please have another look - since it's been released, there has been lots of activity and fun to be had :)

Worth mentioning that once you press 'play', that you need to change the 'source' to 'internet' and press 'get new list' on the server page...and that the options available once you start the actual game, rather than the front page.

It's pretty addictive stuff :)

Looks very polished. Install was a no brainer.

I'm very new to games (never used to play them even on Windows). When I start the game I get a display centered in the screen with a black surround. I'm at 1280X1024 resolution, how do I get the game to go fullscreen ? Thanks.

Also, the server list is empty. Can I just play a standalone game or must I join a game server of some sort ? Many thanks.

Hmm..there should be a few people..just checked, yes (though not that many, better later - US time and all that). If you make sure that, in the servers list page, that the 'Source' is changed to 'internet' and then click on 'Get New List' (and possibly 'Refresh List' if still nothing comes up) then you should see some people around. Obviously go for the server with the lowest ping if you have a choice (it makes a big difference, spesh in games with 10-20+ people).

When you are in game, immediately set a name for yourself. Esc->Options

Then to correct the resolution problem: Esc->Options->System

Hope that helps :)

I'm Footissimo / Footissimo@Ubuntu on there..oh and 'T' for all team messaging and 'Y' for messages to just your team. Worth going as a grunt rather than builder if you're new - for humans just select 'rifle' rather than 'construction kit' and for aliens, select 'Dretch'. Aliens are harder work (there's few ranged attacks) but, IMO, more fun - see the manual here

Edited by foot

17fps may work as long as it's 17fps when there's lots of things happening on the screen - you sure direct rendering and all that is enabled? It shouldn't require terribly impressive stats and even on my very mediocre system it goes at max FPS wise.

I guess it depends on what it's like in-game for you :)

Like, I said, grab a dretch or a rifle and join in..as with everything there are a few annoying people on there, but many will help if you ask..and the old pros seem to have got used to the influx of noobs since it was released as standalone.

I dunno, everything seems OK in my xorg.conf.

I get better 20+ fps and much more fluid motion if I'm running medium or low quality rendering for the textures etc. but if I put everything at the highest, it gets as low as 8 or 9 fps when there's a lot of stuff going on.

This is a 64 MB NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX400 card (AGP), I never really game, so I don't know how good it should be. What card are you using ? And are you running highest quality for the rendering ?

Problem may be with BIOS settings, next time I boot up I will see if I get any better after disabling the onboard video.

the slowdown at high quality is most likely due to your video card. it's a little old, and doesn't have much ram. by comparison i have a geforce 6600GT with 128MB of ram...and even it's a little slow on some games ;)

the slowdown at high quality is most likely due to your video card. it's a little old, and doesn't have much ram. by comparison i have a geforce 6600GT with 128MB of ram...and even it's a little slow on some games ;)

Thanks, I had to lower the quality of textures to get smooth playability.

BTW, foot, I've sorta been banned from one of the servers - I was being an idiot, there was noone else logged on so I decided to see if I could shoot my own turret till it blew up (I could). Then I got banned.

Is it by handle or IP ? Permanent or I will be let back in later ? Thanks. I feel like such a noob (I am, at this sort of thing). :lol:

Seems a little harsh, though there have been some people on their (often called 'nexterholland') who go on games just to ruin them by killing their own base, so perhaps that server had some code to automatically stop it (though people shoot their own structures all the time..in fact one of the alien strategies is to encourage humans to knacker their own base). Worth going on the forums at the above link and mentioning it..just in case they share info!