popular, big games on linux

null

I may have asked this a year or 2 ago, I can't remember. I don't play any games on my linux box, other than the ones that came with mandriva 2006. I haven't played any games on my win2k box ever since I used to play Doom I and Doom II. That's how long I've been away from gaming.

I was wondering what "popular" games can be easily installed on a mandriva 2006 box? I don't have a real high-end system (see sig below), and I have a 19" LCD screen, which may not be too great for games.

What about H-L 2, or Doom 3, or some of the army/war games...? I like to just shoot at everything, don't like the RPG stuff too much. Are any of those easily installable & playable on my linux box?

thanks!!

Neverwinter Nights has a native linux port. That game is pretty awesome.

Also the Civilizations (III-IV) also work with cedega. In fact, most of the popular games work with cedega.

There's Unreal Tournament (Doom-esque) and Half-life (also Doom-edque).

There's online games that you can play too (if you're looking to throw your life away) like Everquest and World of Warcraft, I think those both work with cedega.

Loki games did a port of SimCity 3000 and I think SimCity4 works under cedega as well.

Then there are all the emulators for nintendo, SNES, N64, Playstation, and there is even one for the Playstation2 that is under development.

So there are lotsa options, just pick the one you want.

:)

Neverwinter Nights has a native linux port. That game is pretty awesome.

That's a great game :thumbs:

There's online games that you can play too (if you're looking to throw your life away) like Everquest and World of Warcraft, I think those both work with cedega.

The original EQ works, but that's not really worth playing anymore since EQ2 came out. WoW runs pretty well w/cedega, and there are reports of it working w/wine too, but that takes a bit more work.

check the list wink.gif

yeah, I've gone thru that list a few times, but never took the step in trying anything out. That list doesn't really talk about what's hard to install & run, and what's not. it's just a concise list of games. I was looking more for some comments of which ones of those are easy & trouble-free to install.... Also, was looking for comments of which ones would play OK on my mid-range system.

I just downloaded No Gravity. Now what...? I double-click on the package file and just get a GEdit error....

can you urpmi any of these ?

edit: I guess "the list" does mention what hardware is recommended for each game...

I mainly want to try out UT2004 (single player) or HL 2.

Edited by null

Does the file end in .bin? If so, you'll have to run it from the command line as a shell script, most games that use the Loki installer are installed this way:

# ./nameoffile.sh

Obviously, you'll need to be in the same directory as the file is.

Though it isn't mandriva related you might check ubuntu game list(maintained by me): http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Native_Games

But I've added under each games if a .rpm .deb source .sh loki .jar etc. is available.

thanks. I did what dexter11 said, right-clicked and marked Owner & Group for execute. Double-clicked the icon, and then it proceeded to install. Asked me for system password a couple times, then after all done, said "install successful".

these last 2 years messing around with apt-get, then yum, and finally easy-urpmi, is really not much help in learning the basics, is it...?

Now... how to run it ? I checked the gnome menus, don't see it anywhere. I also tried Run Application, and typed nogravity, it said:

Cannot display location 'file://nogravity'

ok, I figured out that I need to browse to the executable (in /usr/games) and double-click it. Game looks good, and plays good too.

How do you add this to the KDE menu and gnome menu ?

if you use desktop icons you'd be best creating a new launcher/program, and putting in the path to the executable as the command (/usr/games/nogravity - or whatever the executable is). editing menus can be tricking so this is the best solution. Also, in Run Application, if you type in /usr/games/nogravity it should run from there.

yeah, I did think of running /usr/games/nogravity. That just displayed the nogravity folder, and then I double-click the executable. I thought it would run, not just show the directory contents.

edit: my son wants me to install cube & enemy territory, so I'll probably be back tomorrow asking about those....!! thanks!

Edited by null