Had Lilo 99 bootloader crash [solved]

sn8kman

I just wanted to post about a problem I had because I previously wiped the entire hard drive to solve the issue, but turns out there was an easy fix. After I reinstalled, was configuring the new MDE-KDE3.5.2 and hosed my lilo MBR somehow. I got L 99 99 99 99 99 etc when booting and couldn't get into Lilo or linux. :end:

Here's what I did:

boot off the install DVD (CD)

<F1> when first menu appears

type rescue

**may be optional** select reinstall bootloader - got errors

hit <enter>

select console

type chroot /mnt

type type lilo -M /dev/sda **note-this is my root hard drive. if you have a SATA hard drive for booting use this. If you have an IDE hard drive type lilo -M /dev/hda**

type rescue-gui

select reboot

!all fixed! :headbang:

:woot_jump:

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I did.

BTW: I love the smilies! :thanks:

Edited by sn8kman

Looks good to me dude :P

I checked the man page, and it's all correct for writing it back to the MBR. I'm not sure what the "rescue-gui" does, unless it loads the menu back up to select stuff from (like reinstall lilo), so this prob isn't normally required.

The only thing I would normally do is exit the menu to the command prompt and then reinstall the boot loader using the lilo command like you did. Then I would type "exit" to get out of the chrooted environment and then do:

cd /
umount /mnt
reboot

this just a cleaner way of closing your system down after doing the lilo stuff. But you did good :beer: