Fatal error finishing initialization

cherryelky305

Finally got mandriva 2006 dvd iso. generated checksum, matched, burned dvd at 4x my lowest setting, the main screen shows up well but then it says fatal error finishing initialization. Tryed noapic had no effect.

mandriva linux 2006 free dvd i586

trying to install to system:

amd athlon 2400xp+

asus a7n266c mainboard

ati x1300 256mb agp video card

1.25 gig ram

20 gig HD

this newbie is one tired newbie..sigh....waited 36 hours for linux and now it wont work. sorry but not impressed so far.

the main screen shows up well but then it says fatal error finishing initialization.
This is before you install anything, right? If yes, have you tried the text-based installer already? Press F1 for advanced options, then select tex-install (it is easy to accomplish).
this newbie is one tired newbie..sigh....waited 36 hours for linux and now it wont work. sorry but not impressed so far.
Quite understandable, but don't give up yet. :)

I did some researches and your ati-card might be the problem. Try the text based installation and set up a basic vesa gfx-environment for now. You will need to install the ati-drivers later (there are forum members who can assist you in that) from what I see. I hope there are some good drivers available from the ati-site. :unsure:

Ok, tried the text install, which started out ok but did the exact same thing fatal error finishing intialization. If i alt f3 then i see the log and it says what it does and it all looks good aside from some mounting attempts that dont look right to me, but i am new to linux so what do i know, they just look fishy. twards the end it says "short write (bad address)"

"third party: using modules location /sysroot/tmp/image"

"fopen(stage1.c:348) failed: no such file or directory"

"unsetting automatic"

"exiting bootsplash"

I can type the stuff it says farther up if anyone needs me too. Im looking at the screen now and posting this on my mac so i can try suggestions real time. thanks for anyhelp.

Aim s/n : bsucamino

I guess you want to cry now. Because... you got a bad burn! Your DVD must be bad. I checked round about ten different posts on other forums on this and yes, everyone with a bad burn had

""short write (bad address)"

"third party: using modules location /sysroot/tmp/image"

"fopen(stage1.c:348) failed: no such file or directory"

"unsetting automatic"

"exiting bootsplash"

reported by the installer. Really bad luck... I feel sorry for you, mate.

If you can get to the ftp-install option in the advanced settings, you can try to do an online installation, which will last some two hours from start to finish for a simple system with roughly 1,6 GB of files.

ok then...lol....what is the easiest way to get linux on my machine lol...i guess i have to start from the begining. I have burned mandriva 2006 and mandrake 10.1 and both got screwed up some how. I burned both at the slowest speeds and did the checksums. Everything matched. aside from paying for it or haveing a disc shipped my only option is to download it. what ftp sites do you guys trust for your iso's and what do you burn them with?

http://mandrivauser.cz/modules.php?name=So...iso/2006.0/i586

There I got mines from and they work. You have four options now: Download the mini-iso, which is only for ftp-install (you should note down the mirror address if you want to do this, because you have to enter it), download only CD1 of the 3-CD edition (It is enough for a basic KDE system, everything else can be added later online), download all three CDs or download a whole DVD again. I would go for option 1 or two in your case. Less wasted bandwidth. :)

You can burn the stuff with nero, easycdcreator and other windows software as you did already. Simply make sure that you have good blank CDs/DVDs and let the machine burn at slow speed. And do not do anything else on your box while it burns. Windows is not the best thing for multitasking imho.