johnz

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First love: Acorn BBC model B

First view of linux: friend's system in about 1995, completely baffled

First attempt with linux: Mandrake 10.1 last year

First (and current) fully successful system: Mandriva LE2005 (thanks, aRTee!)

Mandrake 7.0

me too. but i was completely clueless. my first love was mandrake 8.0 though. it seemed so smooth and refined. i loved it. but i only had a modem and not the knowledge to do much with it.

Mandrake 7.0

me too. but i was completely clueless. my first love was mandrake 8.0 though. it seemed so smooth and refined. i loved it. but i only had a modem and not the knowledge to do much with it.

I was clueless as well. But 8.0 and 8.1 were very scary. Now, 8.2 was a good release. BTW, I am currently teaching 8th grade and high school Algebra.

my first love was windows 3.11. My first linux love was Mandrake 9.1, I still have the discs, including updates I downloaded. I just can't seem to throw them out. Windows 3.11 on the other hand is long, long gone, with win95, winME.

I'm with Ix. My first full-use distro was Mandy 7.0. Still have my cd from cheap bytes out of nostalgia. But my very first was debian slink. That was my teacher. I learned the boot loader and file system and users and permissions fiddling with my cli only install. I had a rudimentary x11 installed also but no window manager. I chose that because I didn't have a cd rom I could rely on and just went with floppy install. I then got Corel 1.0 but it didn't like my sound card. But it was enough to make me realize this was my answer to windows' failures. I got mandy the same order with Corel and tried it next. I was in love. That's why I feel a little peeved at how they've handled recent releases. 7.0 just worked.

Oh, I first HEARD about linux in a Dilbert cartoon. Dil was listening to his mother rant how she was going to email Bill Gates from her Linux box. I was testing OS/2 3.0 at the time and was curious what Linux was. Took me another year to look into it. I used unix on the SU campus and if I had known what it was I would have tried it sooner.

Oh, a note of trivia: Mandrake 7.0 was the first Graphic installation that Mandrake offered. Up until then it was strictly a text installation.