Changing Gnome/KDE Star icon

ianw1974

A quick and easy tip for those wishing to get the Gnome Foot or KDE KMenu icons instead of the Mandriva Star.

Gnome

For Gnome, it's real quick and simple. In /usr/share/pixmaps, there is a symlink called mandriva.png which by default is set to:

ls -l /usr/share/pixmaps/mandriva.png
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 43 Jan 13 21:48 mandriva.png -> ../../../usr/share/icons/large/mandrake.png

The gnome foot pixmaps are:

/usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-logo-large.png
/usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-logo-icon.png
/usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-logo-icon-transparent.png

I normally choose "gnome-logo-icon", but I suppose you could substitute to any of the others. All that needs to be done, is reset the symlink to what you want it to be:

ln -sf /usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-logo-icon.png /usr/share/pixmaps/mandriva.png

Now, when you check, it will be showing as:

ls -l /usr/share/pixmaps/mandriva.png
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 38 Jan 16 19:04 mandriva.png -> /usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-logo-icon.png

KDE

For KDE, a little more work needs to be done. KDE uses menuk-mdk.png by default, which is the star. The original is kmenu.png. The default icon set is crystalsvg, so therefore, to change:

cp /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/kmenu.png /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/menuk-mdk.png
cp /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/kmenu.png /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/menuk-mdk.png
cp /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/48x48/apps/kmenu.png /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/48x48/apps/menuk-mdk.png
cp /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/64x64/apps/kmenu.png /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/64x64/apps/menuk-mdk.png
cp /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/128x128/apps/kmenu.png /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/128x128/apps/menuk-mdk.png

we just copy the kmenu.png over the top of the menuk-mdk.png and everything is now looking much nicer! :P

• 3 months later...

Thought I would add this here, dexter11 pointed this out in a recent post for KDE, which kind of makes things a lot more simpler:

Add the following code to your kickerrc file under the KMenu section:

[KMenu]
KmenuUseMdvIcon=false

This file is usually located here

~/.kde/share/config

Many thanks once again to dexter11 for this.

• 5 months later...

Ok, that worked great for my home folder. Would it work for all users if you put it in the root folder? Not root user, but root. There is a /.kde/share/config folder but no kickerrc file. This is a great fix though.

Do you know where the file is that reads this rc file? I mean, some place it has the file name of the icons. If you could change that it might make it system wide also.

Thanks a bunch...that star just looked so (whatever, can't think of a word to describe it). You'd think Mandriva would read this and change it! People have hated that star since day one!

• 1 year later...

guess i gotta bump this topic ... hehe well i am using mandriva 2008.

i did all of the above, i copied the default kmenu.png over the mandriva one as well as added entry to the kickerrc but the icon is not chaning.

i am also using a different icon set from kde-look.org but that kmenu icon doesnt change the default mandriva one. i am also using the kickoff menu so i am guessing the icons are stored in a different place.

any ideas ?

EDIT: I just got it... /var/lib/mandriva/kde-profiles/powerpack/share/icons/crystalsvg/64x64/apps/mdv_kmenu.png guess i just had to learn how to use find properly :)

bulgarian, in Mandriva 2008, there is a very simple way of doing it, it does not require you to edit any file, all you got to do is the following.

put the image you want to use in /.kde/share/icons/NameOfTheIconThemeYouUse/32x32/apps , this directory probably will not exist, so you have to create it

rename your image/new icon kmenu.png

Right click on the start/Kmenu button and choose switch to Default KDE button

Your new icon should now show up.

In the above /.kde/share/icons/NameOfTheIconThemeYouUse/32x32/apps path, you must insert the theme you use in place of NameOfTheIconThemeYouUse of course, it wii be something like Crystalvg, whatever you chose. I don't remember what they are exactly, and I can't help you any further, as I don't use Linux any more, I have returned to Windows, just can't get coming to the forums out of my system yet, been coming here daily for a couple of years, so it's a bit of a habit, but if you have trouble, someone else should be able to take it from here.

Edited by esulcer

no i did that but it did not work with the kickoff memu... so i did a search to find where the original mandriva button is coz it kept going back to it even if select to use default K button. But then the kickoff menu is kind of buggy as it freeses my taskbar once in a while so i switched to the default menu for better performance and then i can change the icons in ~/.kde/share/icons/apps for it to have effect, but not using the kickoff menu.

• 1 month later...