• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to change window manager? How to change from KDE to Gnome, IceWM

#1 User is offline   laan97ac 

• New Here
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:53 PM

Newbie question here

How do I change the windowmanager from KDE to something else?

I believe Mandriva 2006 comes with IceWM and Gnome preinstalled. I would like to switch to see if that effects some of the applications that I have trouble with - skype...! and a few others.

#2 User is offline   AussieJohn 

• MAGEIA Loyal

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:01 PM

Open MCC (Mandriva Control Centre)------------>System -------->Choose the display manager that enables to select which user to log in.

You can then select which Window manager you want from the ones installed. Log out and then back in and you should have what you want.

Cheers. John.
The Computer future is here TODAY ..... Mageia-5.0, KDE4, Dolphin, K3B, Grip, Audacious, Totem, Kaffeine, SVLC, Kmail, Libre-Office, Scribus, XSane, Gimp, OpenShot, FireFox, FlightGear, Filelight, Gwenview, Geeqie, GoogleEarth, Skype, Pysol-FC.

Corsair Obsidian 750D Full Tower Case (full Window), AMD Athlon-FX8120 8-Core 3.1Ghz Processor, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 USB3 rev.4 MainBoard, Gigabyte Nvidia-GeForce-9600-GT VideoCard, 16Gb Corsair "Vengeance" DDR3 Memory, 1 x Corsair 240Gb SSD Neutron Hard Drive, WD SATA-II 500GB 16mb HDD, 2 x LG Sata DVD-R/RW Burners, LG 27" LED LCD HDMI Monitor, Hewlitt-Packard PhotoSmart 6510 Printer, APC BackUPS-CS-650 UPS, Corsair HX650W Power Supply, Vantec Dual HDD Docking Station SATA-USB3.

ADSL-2+ Internet Connection_100Gb (Bigpond)

JOHN. (82yrs, Young) Registered LINUX user #318452

#3 User is offline   ianw1974 

• Platinum
  • Group: Admin

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:02 PM

You can simply install icewm if it's not already, and then when you boot the system, before you enter your username/password, there are some options at the bottom of the screen.

One of these options allows you to change between Default, KDE, Gnome, ICEWM, etc, etc.

If you have gdm chosen as your Desktop Manager (Configure Your Computer/System/Desktop Manager), then you can make sure that whichever option you chose, is set as the default for each time you boot your system.
Ian Walker

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.........

My Linux Solutions | Linux Systems Limited

#4 User is offline   laan97ac 

• New Here

Posted 23 November 2005 - 02:54 AM

Thanx - that simple I feel embarrassed to have asked the question. However, two questions:

1 )Sound is remarkably bad in GNOME compared to KDE - why
2 )Under the menu "Places" menu items such as "documents", "video" etc. do not work. I get an error message saying
Cannot display location ....
Details: There is no default action associated with this location
what to do?

#5 User is offline   ianw1974 

• Platinum
  • Group: Admin

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:04 AM

I'm not sure on point 2, I don't use gnome very much so someone else might be able to help here.

For the sound, can you press ESC during boot, and look for something that relates to sound? It could be alsa or something along those lines. It might just be a case of changing the volume levels in Gnome to make it more bearable. I found that with my system if it was too loud the sound wasn't too good.
Ian Walker

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.........

My Linux Solutions | Linux Systems Limited

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users