Suggestions

Hibou

A simple suggestion about a suggestion list...

I find this board most usefull for technics problems and a little philosophical / political chat on the ''of the wall'' topic. :P

But I think a forum like this one, revolving around madriva, collects a lot of user experience, thus enabling us to partake in the making of the OS. Some of you are coders, other contributes to Gnome or Kde throught kdelook and such. But, as I am neither a coder, nor an artist, but I am indeed an user, I feel a little restricted in my present contribution, which is only to fill bug reports. To say it is boring is an understatement.

I also often find myself to aks questions as : would that work ? Is there a better way to do this ? Why is that not done ? Why is this problem, I find on almost every users board, of every distribution has not been taken care off ? I also often think : that would be usefull, that would be great, why didn't think about this user interface feature ?

Mandriva has surely taken the way towards an easy to use linux, but with the choice to go under the hood, and change what we don't like. So why not go under the hood of the configurations / accessibility problems, and lokk if we could not provide mandriva with usefull advices. I think a linux distro with good feedback from the users is the way to ensure the success of the distro. :headbang:

So I propose a suggestion list : when you encounter on this board a problem which appears to be a purely ''mandriva'' problem, or a problem caused by a bad integration of the components, so, a problem mandriva should take care of, and not, lets say, the kde or mplayer team, lets propose to mandriva the problem.

For it to work I think we would need a topic moderator who would knows the working of mandriva pretty well, and who could tell us, when a suggestion is made if it is totally stupid from a coder point of view. When a problem or a suggestion would seems mure enough, we could then send it to the Mandriva team.

As an example : a first proposition, probably totally stupid :D

Example :

The search engine in the urpmi gui (mandrake control center) seems pretty slow... could we use the inotify kernel in order to speed that ?

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately we couldnt use inotify for that. When I last used mandrake, the urpmi database was just a single file.

Inotify is used to tell a program when a file is updated. That's how beagle uses it, if there's a change in a file or a new file, it indexes that file again to keep up to date.

Inotify would be useless as we have one or a few database files here which we are searching within, we have no need for notification of when it changes.

iphitus