mdk 10 and fstab

Guest Metal_Power

Guest Metal_Power

hello,

i use the mdk 10.0 and works very fine, but i'm cannot configure the fstab.

output message log :

Aug 8 00:36:48 a213-22-8-104 mount: mount: fs type /hdd1 not supported by kernel

* the partitions they are ext3 :screwy:

before i use the RH and configure fstab without problems.

thanks for yours support.

Moved from Tips and Tricks by theYinYeti. Welcome aboard :)!

Also, tell us in detail what command you launched when mounting the drive (mount command with all the options you used)

Also check if your harddrive is really hdd and not something else.

Guest Metal_Power

this is my fstab :

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda3 swap swap defaults 0 0

none /mnt/hd supermount dev=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,kudz

u,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hda2 /hdd1 ext3 rw,user,noauto 0 0

/dev/hdb1 /hdd2 ext2 rw,user,noauto 0 0

[root@a213-22-8-18 firefox]# dmesg | grep hd

EXT2-fs warning (device hdb1): ext2_fill_super: mounting ext3 filesystem as ext2

EXT3 FS on hda2, internal journal

EXT3 FS on hdb1, internal journal

--- if I mount the disk manually don't have problems, is very strage!!!

[/b]mount output :

[root@a213-22-8-18 firefox]# mount

/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5 on / type ext3 (rw)

none on /proc type proc (rw)

none on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)

none on /dev type devfs (rw)

none on /sys type sysfs (rw)

none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620)

none on /mnt/floppy type supermount (rw,sync,dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850)

/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 on /hdd1 type ext3 (rw)

/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1 on /hdd2 type ext3 (rw)

It seems that /dev/hda2 is an extended partition, with just one logical volume in it: /dev/hda5. The extended partition shouldn't contain any unpartitioned space, else it wouldn't be mountable. You cannot mount both /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda5 at the same time, of course!

The only other logical scenario is that you also have another dev/hda4 partition which you cannot/ don't wish to mount via fstab.

Edited by scarecrow

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

hdd is your CD ROM. ;) so this:

will never work unless you know a trick how to mount your harddisk(hda) onto your cd-rom(hdd). I don't know one. :cheesy:

hdd is your CD ROM. ;) so this:

will never work unless you know a trick how to mount your harddisk(hda) onto your cd-rom(hdd). I don't know one. :cheesy:

I fail to see why they shouldn't work! /hdd1 and /hdd2 aren't devices, just mount points, so they will surely work if already created. What will not work is mounting both the extended /dev/hda2 partition and the logical /dev/hda5 one in it at the same time (as they both point to his root partition, which can be mounted only once).

Agreed that naming mount points like /hdd1 and /hdd2 is a bit weird, but certainly not forbidden! :jester:

Edited by scarecrow

ok scarecrow. I trying kow you say.

wating for feedback  :P

I guess some input is needed by you, on the actual partition structure of hda.

My guess is that /dev/hda2 is an extended partition, which has only one logical volume inside ( /dev/hda5 ), happening to be your root partition. If this is so, then you simply cannot mount both hda2 and hda5- just one of them (preferrably the latter).

But since there's another option ( hda1 and hda4 existing but not being mounted by fstab on purpose ) it would be nice to know how exactly /dev/hda is partitioned.

There's nothing wrong using mountpoints like /hdd1 and /hdd2, it's just a wee bit confusing (actually Arctic seems that has been confused about it).

Now I am really puzzled. If /dev/hdd is the CD-Rom, how can he mount a hdd1 partition, if the CD-Rom doesn't have several partitions on it? hdd1 and hdd2 will always tell the system that those are on the CD-Rom, if /dev/hdd is by default recognized as the CD device and not as an additional harddisk or ramdrive. And it ain't logical at all, mounting a CD-Rom partition on a harddisk. Or am I missing something here? :huh:

Guest jglen490
Now I am really puzzled. If /dev/hdd is the CD-Rom, how can he mount a hdd1 partition, if the CD-Rom doesn't have several partitions on it? hdd1 and hdd2 will always tell the system that those are on the CD-Rom, if /dev/hdd is by default recognized as the CD device and not as an additional harddisk or ramdrive. And it ain't logical at all, mounting a CD-Rom partition on a harddisk. Or am I missing something here? :huh:

It's very confusing that mount points hdd1 and hdd2 have a similar name to the device /dev/hdd.

It may be that the "/" in front of the hdd1 and hdd2 names are causing confusion to the fstab load process. Try removing the "/" from each name in the table.

Or am I missing something here? :huh:

Well... not much. Just that a mount point named /hdd* has nothing at all to do with a /dev/hd* device!

The above hdd1 thing is NOT a partition, it is just the mount point our friend uses!

Well, it still confuses me. :D

/me takes an aspirin. :cheesy:

It may be that the "/" in front of the hdd1 and hdd2 names are causing confusion to the fstab load process.  Try removing the "/" from each name in the table.

No, this certainly not the case. fstab enties are just too dumb to confuse /dev/hdd* with (existing) /hdd* moynt points.

BUT: the /hdd mout points must already exist, and the mount command should not try to mount there already mounted partitions! (as I do believe is the case in this already long topic...).

Edited by scarecrow