won't enter mandriva

toxic

Hey all. hope someone can help me.

I just installed madriva LE 2005 64-bit on my machine. I got it up and runnig and everything worked fine. Then I wanted to create a fat32 partition so I had a patition that I could read and write on in mandriva and winXP. So I intered windows and split up one partition into to.

Now then I start mandriva there is an error. it says.

fsck.ext/dev/hda7:

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else,) then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:

e2fsck -b8193 <device>

: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hda7

Failed to check filesystem. Do you want to repair the errors? (Y/N)

(Beware, you can lose data)

"then I type Y, and it says"

Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...

e2fsck 1.36 (05-Feb-2005)

fsck.ext3

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else,) then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:

e2fsck -b8193 <device>

: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hda7

[FAILED]

*** An error occurred during the file system check.

*** Drooping you to a shell; then system will reboot

*** Then you leave the shell.

Give root password for maintenance

(or type Control-D for normal startup):

"then I enter my root password and it says"

(Repair filesystem) 1 #_

So what can I do??????

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Here's what probably happened:

Let's say that one of your linux partitions was the 3rd logical drive in the extended partition on your hard drive. That would be, in linux terms, /dev/hda7.

You probably had a Windows partition as either the 1st or 2nd logical drive on that extended partition. That would be /dev/hda5 and /dev/hda6 in linux terms.

Now you break that Windows partition into two - let's say that was the 2nd logical drive in the extended partition, or /dev/hda6. Now you have a smaller /dev/hda6 and that second Windows partition that you created by splitting the first into two, then becomes /dev/hda7.

Now what had been your a linux partition on /dev/hda7 gets bumped up to /dev/hda8.

Linux starts to boot, and trys to find an ext2 file system on /dev/hda7 but it doesn't find it, because that now is the new Windows partition you created. Your original linux partition on /dev/hda7 is now /dev/hda8.

How to recover?

Well, you're going to get several opinions probably. The answers will depend on what you reply to the following important questions:

To provide guidance to you, please answer how you are booting linux - from a boot loader floppy, or are you booting from the hard drive? Are you using lilo or grub to boot linux? Also, do you have the original Mandriva CD1, which you could boot from to go into rescue mode?

Post those answers and wait to see what various people say and then proceed accordingly to your tastes.

I doubt that your linux partition is ruined, it's just in the wrong place after splitting that windows partition. But if it is, then you may have to re-install linux.

EDIT: re-written because I mis-interpreted toxic's original post.

Edited by jboy

Oh oh...

Well, first, try if your system still boots up in failsafe mode. If not (and you are taken to the "repair filesystem" prompt), try to run e.g. nano

nano /etc/fstab

This will open the fstab-file, where you define all system mountpoints. Uncomment /dev/hda7 with two ## at the beginning of the line. Then save the file (ctrl+o), exit and reboot your system in order to check if it will work again of if there are more partitions borked on your sytem.

Good luck and keep us informed.

edit: Oops, jboy was faster...

We haven't messed everything up. We could have restored the whole system with a few steps from there but... well, sometimes a reinstallation is the faster way and it is less painful. Next time, when you want to alter the number of partitions/create new partitions, use Mandrivas partitioning tool for that as it will update your fstab and dev information accordingly, so you can always boot your system.

And keep one thing in mind: every time you destroy a Linux system, you will learn something new. ;) (I killed many, many systems while beta testing new Linux distros)