Mouse disappears after screen saver

Guest cokelid

Guest cokelid

After updating from 10.1 to LE 2005 (10.2) I have an intermittent problem with my PS2 mouse.

Sometimes after waking the machine from screen-saver the mouse pointer has disappeared. The mouse signal is getting through since the mouse wakes the computer from sleep. The only way to solve the problem is to log in and out, or leave the machine to go to screen-saver and then wake it again.

I've tried a different mouse but the problem remains. The relevant section of xorg.conf looks normal:

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Mouse1"
   Driver "mouse"
   Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
   Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
   Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

There are no relevant messages I can find in any of the logs.

Also it's not just a case of the mouse pointer being invisble (rather than not there), since moving the mouse around doesn't switch the focus between windows.

Any ideas? It's really getting on my nerves!

Cheers,

Justin

If with updating you mean choosing update as the install method then that is probably the cause of your problem. Better is to choose new install on existing partitions. Then choose not to format /home so all you user setting wil be kept.

Now your problem. Do you have it with all screensavers? Have you tried upgrading xorg?

Guest cokelid
If with updating you mean choosing update as the install method then that is probably the cause of your problem. Better is to choose new install on existing partitions. Then choose not to format /home so all you user setting wil be kept.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Devries. Yes it was an upgrade/update - i.e. nothing was wiped. I didn't realise there was an option to not format /home so thats useful to know next time. However it would take aaaages to install and configure all the software, so I think I'll keep this as a last resort!

Now your problem. Do you have it with all screensavers? Have you tried upgrading xorg?

The screen-saver makes no difference. From /var/log/Xorg.0.log I have:

X Window System Version 6.8.2
Release Date: 9 February 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.3-25mdk-i686-up-4GB i686 [ELF]

From www.x.org it seems that X11R6.8.2 is the latest version. From the same log file I have:

(II) LoadModule: "mouse"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/mouse_drv.o
(II) Module mouse: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
       compiled for 6.8.2, module version = 1.0.0
       Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
       ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.4

and

(==) NV(0): Silken mouse enabled

and

(**) Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
(**) Mouse1: Device: "/dev/mouse"
(**) Mouse1: Protocol: "ExplorerPS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse1: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
(==) Mouse1: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
(**) Mouse1: ZAxisMapping: buttons 6 and 7
(**) Mouse1: Buttons: 7
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse1" (type: MOUSE)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard1" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) Mouse1: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

From searching around this all seems normal.

You might notice from the above that I'm using an nvidia graphics card. The problem existed with the original nv driver supplied with mandriva, and also existed with the nvidia driver downloaded from nvidia.com. Is it the X manager or the video driver that renders the mouse cursor? Or both?

So any more ideas?! I think my train of thought has gone stale so any thoughts on what to check out are appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Justin

Driver "mouse"

According to the xorg.conf the mouse has a driver of it's own ;)

You could try playing around with the protocol options: auto etcetc

My opinion: I think something got mixed up during the install. I would upgrade xorg. If there is no newer Mandriva version there is one at thacs you can try.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cokelid

So I've finally discovered a work-around.

If the mouse disappears, I use keyboard-shortcuts to start up a konsole and then kill the xscreensaver process and the mouse reappears!

All I need to do now is ensure that xscreensaver doesn't start at all... Does the KDE screensaver start xscreensaver?