Wireless Internet

Guest Jman888

Guest Jman888

First thing i have to say is YES I FOUND A MANDRAKE LINUX FORUM :headbang::headbang::drum: ! i could'nt find one.

Anyway i Have a D-Link DWL-122 wireless internet thing and cant get it to work on linux (Mandrake 10.1 of course But thinking Of upgrading to 2005) and cant get it to work. Im kina a newb at linux but over the 2 weeks i had it i learned a little. (Well i can Do this...

cd /home/me/downloads/
ls
tar zxvf Whatever.tar.gz
cd Whatever
./Configure
./Install

But cant do that very Well.

And i badly Need internet on linux So i can pretty much Ditch Windows. So first i tried to Install the Linux-Wlan thing and could not get it to work i did what i put above (But replacing the directory names with the Linux-Wlan names) and cant get it to work :angry: So how Can i Easily Get it To Work with Mandrake Linux. Please Respond Soon.

There are 2 ways to get wireless working in linux: -1- with native drivers and-2- with a wrapper like ndiswrapper and the windows drivers. Your card has a linux native driver so I guess that Mandrake will support it (the support most hardware out of th ebox). Just try setting it up in the Mandrake Control Center. If that doesn't work you would be better of installing le2005. It has much better wireless support. If you don't want to do that you need to install the driver by hand. There are many howtos on the web. This is what I found woth google: http://www.shaftek.org/blog/archives/000246.html

PS: Mandrake uses urpmi to install software. Read the faqs. There is almost never a need to build software yourself.