Reading Headers on Mail Server

lakelover

I'm trying to set up POP3 filters so that I can examine email headers before I actually download them. I set up up two filters on "subject" and "from," and set the action for "download later." Now, when I check mail I get the indication of email on the server, but no header and I don't know how to "download later." How does this work?

I'm still groping for a way to read email headers on the mail server before downloading messages. This has been asked by several people in different ways and I've done searches but have found not solutions. As I recall, when I first used Kmail in Mandrake 8.x, there was an action button for going on the server to look at headers before downloading. I really liked that feature. Then in Windows, I found PocoMail which has the same feature. My ISP does not have IMAP service, so I continue to look for way to see headers on the server using Kmail or any other Linux-based email client. I thought I could do it with Kmail by configuring POP3 filters, but either it doesn't do what I want or I don't know how to configure the filters properly. I will really appreciate your directions to accomplish this or am I just out of luck?

Yeah :( that's interesting - I just set kmail on one of the accounts to leave it on the server, but it still read the whole test message down, and even deleted it from the server (if it had even left it there) when I deleted it in kmail. Yes, I had a couple things like that in windows that would notify me of something on the server, but not jeopardize the computer till I told it to bring it down. Seems like thunderbird WOULD do that. Let me go check.

Kristi

EDIT: yes, in Thinderbird, if you check "fetch headers only" in that email account, it will allow you to see only the headers unless you click the message that it gives you in the body area.

I have Kmail, Thunderbird and Opera Mail. I use PocoMail, on Windows. I'm going to try Thunderbird per Krisi1's comments. I do like Kontact and Kmail. It's simple and straightforward. So, if I could download "Headers only" on Kmail that would make my day.

Jerry

Thunderbird's "Headers Only" works great. I've not found the same option on Kmail or on Opera Mail. In addition spam I delete many emails from friends who foreward jokes and the like. It really ticks me off and some of their Fwd's are huge. Looking at the headers gives me complete control over what I want to download. I'll see what the Kmail people have to say.

Jerry

To get the answer I subscribed to the kdepim-users mailing list.

> is there a way to get kmail to show you the header of something on your

> pop3

> server without also bringing down the body.

no, kmail can't do this.

you may want to try kshowmail:

http://kshowmail.sourceforge.net/

werner

KDE PIM users mailing list

kdepim-users@kde.org

https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kdepim-users

downloadable as:

kshowmail for KDE3

3.1.0  2004-01-23 21:00

Download kshowmail-3.1.0-1.RH9.i386.rpm

418638  738 i386 .rpm