Trying to open a pdf file [solved]

Rowan

Hello all

I have just tried to open a pdf file but I keep getting an error saying "Thje desktop entry file /mnt/floppy/xxx.pdf has no Type= ...entry."

Can anyone cast some light on what this means and how do I correct it ?? I have tried to use Ghostview but to no avail. This fil;e is my wifes' CV for a job application and I suspect that I will be in the brown smelly stuff is a very big way if I can't open this file VERY quickly.

Any helpful replies should be as simplistic and detailed as possible because I have been useing mandrake for about a year but I know next to nothing about how to alter things.

Any suggestions or help that get me past tomorrow will be gratefully received.

Rowan

Have you tried installing XPDF or KPDF to read it?  I think there's a Linux version of Adobe Reader from their website too.

Confirm that. I believe it used to be hidden away (possibly not even on the website, just the FTP repository) but now it is there as an option on the Adobe Reader download page:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Reported to work WAY better than their previous efforts too...

I like kpdf better (the one in KDE 3.4.0 and 3.4.1, that is- ages improved comared to the previous version in 3.3.2), but for some PDF documents with complex tables and forms Adobe's reader is the only working choice.

But hey, fourty megabytes' download for a plain document reader?!

Edited by scarecrow

just one information: the errors can be the result of a badly coded pdf-file. it could be e.g. that they forgot to embedd all font-types into the document. in this case, a "not-working" pdf file can only be made functionable if the relevant fonts (ttf, eps, ps) are installed on the system. (this is especially true with mac-created pdf-documents)

Hello all

Thank you to all those that replied. I attempted to read the file under Windows XP and it told me that the file could not be read so I will assume that the file is corupt and will need to be rewritten.

Once again thank you to all those who offered advice.

Rowan