Samba Client On Windows Domain [solved]

Murda

Hi.

I've been searching tips on how to join to a win domain with my mdk 10.1 (laptop) but everywhere i look, there's only some talk about samba shares and samba as being domain server. I can't even get a internet access with my laptop. Let's say that i must connect to a domain called "domain" and i can see from windows configuration that there's a gateway computer at 10.1.0.254. It doesn't allow any traffic through if you are not in that domain (school network). Network uses Static ip addresses (no DHCP server online). I've been trying to configure samba through "Set your Desktop" (i use a translation from KDE so i don't know what it is in english) without any results. When i press that "Join a Domain" -button, it opens a window asking username and pass, but when i give them there and click ok, nothing happens. I'm completely out of ideas. Please help.

And i'm not a great Linux expert but i still know something about networking.

Edited by Murda

I have not tried my linux to join a windows domain, but I've tried windows to join a Samba PDC, so... in joining a Samba PDC, you should create the user account in your samba host, and those account should be able to login to a windows box, even if those account does not exist in that box (windows / usually 2k/xp). If a win2k box will join a windows domain, same scenario will happen, user accounts are created only at the windows host acting as domain, but I dunno it that scenario will work in linux,.. so you better try ( if u have'nt tried it yet) to create an account in your linux box similar to the account assigned to you and exist already in the Win Domain server. then use that to login to your linux box... well, I dunno if that really wrks... but you could just give it a try...

sorry, i didn't say that i wanted to login to that domain with my own domain username and pass and with my own Linux username.

Let's say that i have username and pass to that domain like this:

user: M

pass: pass

and Linux username:

user: Murda

pass: password

my problem is that i can't login as "M" to a Windows domain thru samba as Linux user "Murda". I've tried almost all options (that have anything to do with my problem) from samba config. I just need an internet connection, i don't need to see any shares because i can handle them thru ftp in the network. Bad thing there is that all these windows machines are somehow restricted by admin. I have ftp server on my laptop running and static ip set. But still i can't connect to that laptop with ftp. So i need to be in that domain. I can access ftp servers outside the network (i have Mandrake Server running at home and i have full access thru ftp there). Tricky.. :(

try this one

$ net -S DOMAIN-Server -U user JOIN

where domain-server = name of your domain server host

user = user M ( the user in the domain)

the command will let the local pc (samba server) to join the domain... havent tried it yet my self, coz as i've said, dont have a windows domain

this is all what i get:

[2005/04/11 11:36:56, 0] utils/net_ads.c:ads_startup(186)

ads_connect: Transport endpoint is not connected

Unable to find a suitable server

Unable to find a suitable server

I made it also as root. I have no idea what is wrong. I have my network connection configured and ready, i also unplugged one windows machine's cable and put my laptop (linux) cable there and configured ip and dns servers the same as the windows machine. But all i get is this. This isn't so important thing that someone should really start searching a solution for this, i just wanted to ask if someone had same problems than me and solved them.

wah... anyway, that's all I can give, am not really searching, just so happen that I tried to set-up a samba primary domain controller, and had me my samba doc, really lots of docss, commands. and config guide.. then I saw that command I' d gave you... but since that doesńot work, hope you'll figure it out yourself... good luck

btw, try use irc, logon to #samba channel, lots of users there, maybe some can help

Edited by aioshin

• 3 weeks later...

Murda:

Here's the steps i followed to get access to this Win2000 laptop from my Mdk 10.1 box via ethernet:

Win2000:

Share drive(s)

Set Permissions | Include Network as a user

Control Panel | Network | Name your Workgroup

reboot

WinXP:

Share drive(s)

Set Permissions | Include Network as a user

Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder options | View Tab | Simple File Sharing

Control Panel | Network | Name your Workgroup

reboot

10.1 and KDE:

System |Configuration | Configure Your Computer => Mandrakiva Control Center

Mount Points

Local Disk Sharing - enable mode you want

Samba Mount Points | Search Servers | Select System(s) | Name Windows drives: 'Win2K_C - WinXP-D - Windoze-E' etc. | Mount Drives | Name Samba domain same as Windows WorkGroup (You may have to search around to find all these options, as i don't have KDE up, but I remember them presenting pretty clearly)

Done

Now the drives are mounted, and you can read them.

It's gotta work, or your money back.

BD

• 2 months later...