Mouse not working on 10.1

Guest instromaniac

Guest instromaniac

Hi everyone,

I've upgraded from 10.0 official to 10.1 official using CD1 10.1 official.. During the upgrade my mouse was recognised and working fine. However, after it finished and rebooting my mouse didn't work anymore.

First of all mouse specs: Logitech MX900, it's a cordless bluetooth mouse, the bluetooth device being connected by USB.

So each time I start X the mouse doesn't function. However, when I disconnect the bluetooth device, put it back in and press the connection buttons on the bluetooth device and the mouse my mouse works. Out of 20 times I had 2 times that the mouse reacted strangely (moving extremely fast up/down and slow left/right) and one time that the scroll wheel didn't work.

I've been looking for a sollution, but none worked:

Editing dev in xorg.conf (XF86Config), /dev/mouse to /dev/input/mice or /dev/psaux didn't work. Each time I reboot it gets rewritten to /dev/mouse. I've also noticed /dev/mouse is symlinking to /dev/input/mice and that is symlinking to /dev/psaux, so I think it's not much use editing xorg.conf anyway since all that is correct.

Then I noticed during boot: "Using devfsd instead of udev!!!".

So, what I did is removing devfs with rpm and all other related files (config files). The error is now gone and booting udev gives [ OK ]

I also tried modprobing stuff, didn't work either. Added usbmouse to modprobe.preload, also didn't work.

Anyway, I checked the logs in logdrake, using "mouse" as searchterm.

This is the output before I upgraded to 10.1:

Feb 12 14:19:17 dd5e0699b devfsd[167]: read config file: "/etc/devfs/conf.d//mouse.conf"

Feb 12 18:20:48 dd5e0699b kernel: mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice

Feb 12 18:20:48 dd5e0699b kernel: drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver usbmouse

Feb 12 18:20:48 dd5e0699b kernel: drivers/usb/input/usbmouse.c: v1.6:USB HID Boot Protocol mouse driver

This is repeated each time I boot or reboot

This is the output after I upgraded to 10.1:

Mar  3 18:42:28 telenetPC mousedrake[8440]: ### Program is starting ###

Mar  3 18:42:29 telenetPC mousedrake[8440]: running: /sbin/modprobe usbhid

Mar  3 18:42:29 telenetPC mousedrake[8440]: running: /sbin/modprobe -n usbhid

Mar  3 18:42:31 telenetPC mousedrake[8440]: modified file /etc/sysconfig/mouse

Mar  3 18:42:31 telenetPC mousedrake[8440]: symlinked file input/mice to /dev/mouse

Mar  3 18:42:31 telenetPC mousedrake[8440]: removed files/directories /etc/X11/xinit.d/auxmouse_buttons

Mar  3 18:42:31 telenetPC mousedrake[8440]: renamed file /etc/X11/XF86Config to /etc/X11/XF86Config.old

Mar  3 18:42:31 telenetPC mousedrake[8440]: removed files/directories /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Mar  3 18:42:31 telenetPC mousedrake[8440]: symlinked file XF86Config to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Mar  3 18:42:31 telenetPC mousedrake[8440]: created file /etc/X11/XF86Config

Mar  3 18:42:31 telenetPC mousedrake[8440]: telling X server to use another mouse (ExplorerPS/2, 20)

Mar  3 18:42:31 telenetPC mousedrake[8440]: symlinked file input/mice to /dev/mouse

Mar  3 18:53:42 telenetPC kernel: mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice

Mar  3 18:53:42 telenetPC kernel: drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver usbmouse

Mar  3 18:53:42 telenetPC kernel: drivers/usb/input/usbmouse.c: v1.6:USB HID Boot Protocol mouse driver

Mar  3 18:57:27 telenetPC kernel: mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice

Mar  3 18:57:27 telenetPC kernel: drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver usbmouse

Mar  3 18:57:27 telenetPC kernel: drivers/usb/input/usbmouse.c: v1.6:USB HID Boot Protocol mouse driver

So maybe there is the clue to be found?

Guest instromaniac

Hmmm

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong forum. I wasn't paying much attention and posted it in installing Mandrake instead of Hardware :/

Guest instromaniac
What's the mouse section of youe /etc/X11/xorg.conf  say?

Kristi

Don't have my linux distro at hand atm, but I remember that the device is set to /dev/mouse, the name is Mouse1 and type ExplorerPS/2.

So that should be correct. But xorg.conf gets overwritten on startup anyway, since each time I change /dev/mouse to /dev/input/mice it's /dev/mouse again after a reboot.

Oh something else I've noticed:

When I change my mouse using mousedrake it's always set back to any PS/2/USB mouse, whatever I select.

IIRC mine is exactly like that, so I guess that's not the problem :/

I am wondering/suspecting that bluetooth is going to make a difference. When I was on Xandros I heard a lot about wireless problems but ddnt pick up on the solution... I would suggest you do a search on http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?act=idx - not all MDK, but maybe a solution.. I also noticed one time when I did "choose individual packages" on an install that a number of bluetooth modules/options are not automatically included..., though I would think a urpmi run would fix that..

Also, I think you said you were running USB bluetooth so it should NOT be the same as mine.

Kristi

Edited by kristi

Guest instromaniac

Thanks for all your help so far Kristi :)

Yep, it could be bluetooth that's giving problems. I'll test it with another mouse not using bluetooth.

I've also noticed that Mandy 10.1 starts a bluetooth service at boot, 10.0 didn't do that. Maybe there's the problem?

Well I don't have integrated bluetooth on my pc. My mouse came with a battery recharger that also functions as a bluetooth receiver, which is connected to my pc by USB.

Thanks for all your help so far Kristi :)

Yep, it could be bluetooth that's giving problems. I'll test it with another mouse not using bluetooth.

I've also noticed that Mandy 10.1 starts a bluetooth service at boot, 10.0 didn't do that. Maybe there's the problem?

Well I don't have integrated bluetooth on my pc. My mouse came with a battery recharger that also functions as a bluetooth receiver, which is connected to my pc by USB.

That would probably require that you have a driver specifically for that USB device (for Linux). Stick with PS2...

Kristi

Guest instromaniac
That would probably require that you have a driver specifically for that USB device (for Linux).  Stick with PS2...

Kristi

Well my machine doesn't have a PS2 connection, only USB; and those Logitech MX900/1000 mice are quite handy :)

IIRC mine is exactly like that, so I guess that's not the problem :/

(very slow uptake:) How can it be exactly like that - mine is PS2 and yours is supposed to be USB?

then get an MX700
Yeah, I keep looking at that one, but it isn't sloped quite as much as my old BD-53, which I know is going to die one of these days - much more comfortable than a "flat" mouse!

Kristi

Edited by kristi

i have installed MD 10.1 on dozens of PC's and found this one complete pain in the neck issue that i still see happening in 10.2 .. the mouse .installation sees and sets up the mouse fine . after the 1st reboot the mouse doesn't work . on some PC's it is never an issue on others every time you reboot you have to reset the mouse . use the tab key and or navigate to a shell then use or type mcc to reset the mouse in hardware . it's bizarro and i figured it was just me or cd's or something but i have tried everything to get rid of the possiible causes . i see others having the same issue ..sure it's linux and a reboot is rarely needed so who cares . it's no easy to deploy work stations this way . anyone with some clues ? :wall:

sample PC's:

MD 10.1

intel p4 intel board

2.0ghz

hp ps/2 wheel----------no problem

MD 10.1

HP vectra brio PC

400mhz ----------50 / 50 chance no matter what mouse

MD10.1 and 10.2 rc3

dell 600x lapper-----------no mouse period---- need to reset each reboot

MD10.1

tyan smp

amd 2100 dual

hp ps/2 wheel -----------------no mouse after reboot

MD 10.1

BOLData generic type pc

amd 1.5ghz

compaq ps/2 wheel -------------no issue

this is a small sample i really was hoping to see the issue disappear in 10.2 but i don't think so

Edited by ddmcse