MD 10.1 + ATI + xorg 6.8.2 + flawless Installation

Guest Swerver

Guest Swerver

MD 10.1 + ATI + Xorg 6.8.2 installation

Well this is a 1st for me EVER.. - easiest install ever without any extra configuration than what ATI offers, just follow previous steps..

I have built many an OS on lots of diff distros of Linux with with ATI + XFree or Xorg..

Read on.....

Make sure you have kernel sources for your CURRENT kernel!

Firstly Iill give specs of my personal com incase it matters on the outcome..

---------------------------

intel P4 3gig

ATI radeon 9800 Pro

2 gig 3200 twin channel memory

Abit MAX3 mobo

---------------------------

OK heres the deal..

Download latest ATI-xorg driven driver from ATI -

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx_6_8_0-8.10.19-1.i386.rpm

After your iniitial install of MD 10.1, get your urpmi in order....

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

Add your repositories as you wish, I added them alll ( depending on what I wanna install, ill only select certain media, always be aware that you need to know what your doing if cooker is on your list)

Then add in the command line as root..

urpmi.addmedia thacs.rpms http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/thac/10.1/RPMS with hdlist.cz

When finished update the hdlist.cz from command line or gui - gui is in system/configuration/packaging/softwaremedimanager - than update thacs.rpms to make sure it works :)

Next command : urpmi xorg-x11

Say yes to the dependencies and when done reboot (This installs thacs ready made RPMS for xorg 6.8.2 )

ok you have rebooted!

Next login as normal...

from Konsole su to root

init 3 (takes you to command interface)

CD to your fglrx rpm you downloaded earlier

"type"

rpm -ivh --force fglrx_6_8_0-8.10.19-1.i386.rpm

(thats the current ATI driver)

FOR ME - there was nothing but hash lines and no errors(I have never seen this before!, NOTHING!)

then run

fglrxconfig

and fill in you preferences.

Funilly enough, Reboot and done!!!

****The only thing you may have to do is, as i had done this beforehand is****

Make sure your kernel sources are symlinked! (you may or may not need this, as it may be done alerady)

If so type from command (i did as root)

My command for the kernel I was using was:

ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.8.1-12mdk/ /usr/src/linux

Hope this is as clean as I found it, worked 1st time with no errors..

All i can say is thank you to thac for his rpms, they definately had everything to do with it

This guy should have a paypal link on his website, cause I would donate in a second!

[root@localhost swerver]# fgl_glxgears

Loading required GL library /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

4976 frames in 5.0 seconds = 995.200 FPS

4973 frames in 5.0 seconds = 994.600 FPS

glxgears = 4900 FPS

-Swerver

Edited by Swerver

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Swerver

After reboot! ( was astounded, before the reboot!)

[root@localhost swerver]# glxgears

Loading required GL library /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

30610 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6122.000 FPS

33651 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6730.200 FPS

33674 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6734.800 FPS

[root@localhost swerver]#

ouch!

installed cedega 4.2.x (yes I have a subscription, so no asking for binaries!)

Works like a gem!

Sorry, just updating as im resinstalling the OS - all the info I have given is from a clean install.... (make NOTE, but it may not matter)

I had the previous ATI drivers working perfectly, but on installing the latest one (6_8_0-8.10.19-1 ) it refused to work no matter what i did.

Took your tip and installed xorg from thacs and it works fine now. :thumbs:

Guest Swerver
I had the previous ATI drivers working perfectly, but on installing the latest one (6_8_0-8.10.19-1 )  it refused to work no matter what i did.

Took your tip and installed xorg from thacs and  it works fine now. :thumbs:

Awesome!, glad to hear for my 1st post on these forums!, it worked for someone, else, seriously THAC deserves a medal, his RPMS somehow clean out any errors, im so glad I found his repository :)

i just researched xorg and found my best optiions with what mandrake has to offer..

THAC deserves a medal, his RPMS somehow clean out any errors, im so glad I found his repository

Yeah, his rpms are terrific. He's a friggin' Swedish Texstar. Use his repositories and a trouble-free upgrade to xorg 6.8.2 is just a 'urpmi -v xorg-x11' away. Or, if you urpmi his latest rpm of Firefox, it also does the x11 upgrade at the same time. Someone really ought to add his stuff to the easyurpmi link.

But no need to reboot, at least not just to upgrade x11. A logoff and restart of X is all you need. I'd think the new ATI drivers would be picked up then too, but maybe you're right a reboot is needed for that. I don't use an ATI card, so pay no attention to my rambling. I still use the same ol' 32MB Savage4 card I've used for 6-7 years, which runs glxgears perfectly at a screaming 140fps. But hey, I don't do games and it's always rock-stable, the most important thing to me.

I'll get to find out how good the new ATI drivers are next weekend. A friend and I are building him a quick new box with MDK10.1 and an ATI 9800 card. He'll give it a workout!

Edited by Crashdamage

Guest Swerver
But no need to reboot, at least not just to upgrade x11.  A logoff and restart of X is all you need.  I

yah sorry I just meant reboot after the driver install, more of a to make sure it works method, and see if on reboot fglrx comes up on boot without editing /etc/modprobe.preload

The moral of my storey was no other configuration was needed after using thacs xorg RPMS.

it was a clean install aswell, and no other configuration was needed like in the other posts on howto get ati drivers working with MD10.1

While installing ati drivers I had an error, but that's no surprise for me.

So I had to handrewrite the xorg.conf file to suite my monitor, but that's no big deal.

What I'm grateful for is to Swerver for his xorg walkthrough.

It was so painless with thacs sources that it was wonderful.

A few days ago I tried to manual install xorg 6.8 , but only got annoyed,

now I have xorg 6.8! :)

thanx again, Swerver

$ glxgears
12004 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2400.800 FPS
12145 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2429.000 FPS
12144 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2428.800 FPS
12137 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2427.400 FPS
12068 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2413.600 FPS

And this is with my ancient Radeon 9000 Pro!!

Edited by solarian

Hello all,

Well now I'm back on mandrake, and one thing that I notice is that I still don't have any direct rendering. I have seen a lot of posts about MDK + ATI working together pretty good, and a lot of success stories about people getting that ATI drivers working.

But for me it always comes down to this, do these drivers work with ATI Mobility M6 cards? Most of the time when I ask this no one knows, and then I'm stuck in the same spot.... Not trying the drivers out because I'm scared that I might screw something up. So if any of you got this working with a Mobility M6 or such card, please let me know so what I can give these drivers a try and I don't have to recompile my to get DR working :)

thanks,

-Luis

I suggest you back up xorg.conf and XF86Config-4 files and then install the new drivers.

If the new ones will not work or will need to be adjusted above your knowledge..

either use a knoppix cd to connect to the net and ask for further advice or reinstall the old drivers/replace the config files with your old ones.

A try is not a lost battle ;)

true, but I'm trying to not hose my system, seems like it might need a lot of my time. With a new job, I don't have as much time to mess around with Linux, like fixing messed up apps and such. That's why I cam back to MDK and gave up using Arch.

Thanks for the help.

-Luis

Swerver,

It seems thac is a member of this board. !! http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showuser=771

He seems like more of a 'lurker' to me... but he deserves every credit for his nice rpm-thingies! :) Nothing like a good clean RPM to heal the install troubles that ache you... well, usually. :lol:

Wht didnt you use my fglrx-8.10.19 rpm ?

If you are missing the ones for your kernel install the kernel source

and download my fglrx src.rpm

rebuild with rpm -ba --without glx fglrx-xxx.src.rpm

it will build the needed kernel rpms

mu rpm spec will build for all available mandrake kernels 2.4.x and 2.6.x

/Torbjörn Turpeinen (Thac)