Grub or LILO

tyme

Which one do you use?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you use?

• Grub
    • LILO
    • Other (explain)

LILO cuz I use Reiser4 and I really understand this bootloader :D and I'm too lazy to learn Grub. :P

Yes ... there would be one more argument ... I don't like the way Grub sounds ... LILO is more pleasant to the ear :lol2: .

Paul, please give me some hints on how to make LILO look cool. I'd also need some nice themes for it.

Edited by a13x

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did this turn into a grub vs lilo...which one is better discussion?

I use lilo because that's what came with Mandy 8.1 and grub is so different, I don't understand it.

If one's mbr gets screwed beyond repair, one has more problems than just lilo causing it...otherwise, it's always fixable.

Edit: Ask this on an Ubuntu forum and I bet grub wins. Familiarity.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

I've been using a bootloader called GAG for the last few months. It installs on the MBR and then gives me a menu at boot and I push a number between 2 and 9 to get to the distro I want to use. I use the distro default; lilo or grub, and write it to the boot record of the partition I install the disrto to. I can be a distro ho without having to put allot of effort into writing new entries to a boot loading menu. Right now I've got Mandrake 10.1. Mepis, Vidalinux, Fedora 3, pclos, slakware, suse, and ubuntu all sharing an 80 gig hard drive without any problems.

when it was posted?

When it was said that grub is so different and hard?

When it was said that it doesn't do reiser4?

When it was asked why mandrake still uses old lilo and others don't? ...and the correct answer was given>gui over functionality?

You know, most distros switched to grub when bootsplash was at it's wow stage. That wasn't popular, but the distros wisely chose function/code and what simply worked over eyecandy. It became a lilo vs grub then and long b4 that. It's the nature of the question just like any other of the top 10 in linux.

and grub is so different, I don't understand it.
sure you do

lilo.conf

boot=/dev/hda3map=/boot/map
default="ML-10.2"
keytable=/boot/us.klt
prompt
nowarn
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7
label="ML-10.2"
root=/dev/hdb6
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.7.img
append="devfs=nomount acpi=on splash=quiet"
vga=normal
read-only
other=/dev/hda1
label="windows"
table=/dev/hda3

grub.conf

timeout 3
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
default 0

title ML-10.2
kernel (hd1,5)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7 root=/dev/hdb6 devfs=nomount acpi=on splash=quiet vga=normal
initrd (hd1,5)/boot/initrd-2.6.7.img

title Game_and_XP
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

as stated, the only diff is the way the 2 number partitions

everything else is self explainitory. If you don't get grub, you don't get lilo. Get neither, don't get the linux boot....get the linux boot...get lilo and grub ;)

so just because I won't go for this 'personal pref' stuff and ppl don't what to except that grub does reiser4, is as easy or easier, and mostly the same as lilo.... it is lilo vs grub. As always and as usual.

Edited by bvc

LILO cuz I use Reiser4 and I really understand this bootloader :D and I'm too lazy to learn Grub.  :P 

Yes ... there would be one more argument ... I don't like the way Grub sounds ... LILO is more pleasant to the ear  :lol2: .

Paul, please give me some hints on how to make LILO look cool. I'd also need some nice themes for it.

Maybe Paul can do better, but here's an example of how to do it.

http://www.insyte.uni.cc/

Most of this should work with mdk.

:cheeky:

guiguiguiguiguiguiguiguiguiguiguiguiguigui

Grub doesn't look bad, it just doesn't look as gui as lilo.

Besides, I lied. I used grub once when lilo was not working with a beta and gentoo, I think. I always have 3-4 os's running.

when it was posted?

When it was said that grub is so different and hard?

When it was said that it doesn't do reiser4?

When it was asked why mandrake still uses old lilo and others don't? ...and the correct answer was given>gui over functionality?

<<snip>>

so just because I won't go for this 'personal pref' stuff and ppl don't what to except that grub does reiser4, is as easy or easier, and mostly the same as lilo.... it is lilo vs grub. As always and as usual.

Arguing that one is better than the other is pointless, it's pure preference.

hence the reason the poll asks "which do you use" not "which is better?" ;)

Hmmmm....I would think the poll/topic-starter would know whether or not this was meant to be lilo vs. grub, which one is better....

I see it as a purely scientific usage poll....not a platform for a debate, but some wish to make it so.

people *cough

/points finger

don't seem to care or listen to the thread starters anymore. Didn't in my recent poll/thread, now you expect me to do what you and others (also in this thread) don't? Lame try Steve...try again.

-root

Edited by bvc

yup...u r another

Ok, how about we try to be reasonable about this and keep this on topic?

ON topic yet again:

I definitely do remember times when lilo has given me the ever so frustrating 99 99 99 99.... error and required reloading, even after I had loaded it properly before rebooting. That ticked me off, but I won't deny the idea of it being my fault. :shrug:

Anyways, I don't think there's anything wrong with lilo really, I think a good amount of people prefer it. And that is what linux is all about, preference. Nice to have multiple options for a bootloader.