Harddisk space and Internet?

Guest RenoRulez

Guest RenoRulez

Hi guys,

I´m completly new to Linux, so I have 2 questions for the beginning:

1.) I installed Madrake Linux 10.1. I had 20,0 GB free on my Hdd, meaning this was space which was not partitioned or used.

I guess Madrake uses now only 5Gb of this space. How can I change this? I also use Windows XP, and this still works, but the accuired space is free.

2.) I´m currently writing this over Windows XP, and I don´t know how to set up an internet connection. I have ADSL and an username and a password from my provider. In Windows, I use a special acces-software, just like one @Aol or so.

I hope you can halp me, but after the thigs I´ve seen(e.g how fast Linux is) I´m really happy with it, it would be good if I can work more with it!

Thank you very much and sorry for my bad English,

reno

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Guest RenoRulez
Welcome :D

For the Internet... if you can say your ISP then hopefully someone has the same. 

Also what is the 'exact' as you can model of modem....

do you set up the password/username on the modem (usually from IE) or on your PC... its quite important!

Thank you for welcome me ;).

Now what is ISP? My provider ist named "Strato". You can find it at www.strato.de.

Mhhh I´m setting the Passoword in the Software before dialing up.

I saw that there exists a DFÜ-Connection(Named same as my provider). Protocolls are TCP/IP,

Servertype is PPP,

Connection is over PPPoE.

Authentifizierung (I don´t know what it is in English) is called PAP.

I hope that could help!

Thank you,

reno

Authentifizierung
authentification :P

point 1: start the mandrake control-center and use the partitioning tool. you can e.g. split the partition and resize it there.

point 2: call your isp, if you do not have the relevant data you need (aol is e.g. very tricky with linux = forget it. once you have all data, run the networking wizards in the mandrake-control-center (short: mcc) and set up your connection there. when you need to enter your data, be sure to add your data in the following way:

(anschlusskennung)+(zugehörige anbieternummer)+(suffix/mitbenutzer)+(password)@(provider.de)

the password needs to be included there with some providers but not with all of them. you might need to tweak that a bit.

so, it could look like e.g.

1234567890987654321@blahblahblah.com

Edited by arctic

Guest RenoRulez

HI!

Ok, very good.

I found out that there is a way to set up Internet connection for ADSL, but there is only TOnline and 1&1 as provider listed.

The things arctic wrote match to T-Online, but at strato, there is no "Anschlusskennung" and Stuff, only username and password.

The other thing is:

How does my computer know the server he has to call`?

Thank you very much,

reno