new sound card?

bvc

Looking for an inexpensive soundcard. I have the sb 16 pci but I think it's causing my favorite game, Collin McRae Rally 4, to freeze all the time. It's crappy in a few other games like the boxed tuxracer I bought as well.

I know the sb live is coo but which is better of these 2? Both use the same driver?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id...53&type=product

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id...53&type=product

the second seems more what I'm looking for in terms of gaming. I'm not a big gamer but this skipping and crackling with the sb 16 pci has got to go!

A quick google seems to reveal some having trouble with the second one, but we know how endusers can be ;)

Thx!

Edited by bvc

What about your built-in soundcard? (if it is built into the motherboard that is).

I cannot get inside to your link. Can you tell me what are the names of those cards so I can compare it?

weird ...I just got to them

the builtin soundcard (realtek or whatever) kinda stinks and besides...I need a game port so why just by a game port when I could have better sound?

thx for looking!

I can see which is technically better but I want no hassles with linux either. Google didn't help mu and it seems occationally people have probs with "sb live" and I wonder if it's the fact that they have the other one that it not the "5.1". If that makes sense.

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio Card

Model: SB0060US

Offers outstanding digital audio for the music, game and movie enthusiast. Boasts a powerful EMU10K1 processor, 5.1 analog and digital output, multiple speaker support and more!

Product Features 

Digital 6-channel output 

EMU10K1 digital signal processor 

Dolby Digital 5.1 support 

EAX advanced audio effects 

Creative MultiSpeaker Surround (CMSS) technology 

CreativeWare support 

Localized installation 

12-title software bundle

Product Details

Warranty Terms - Parts  1-year limited

Sound Type Supported  Sound Blaster

Interface Slot Type  PCI

External Ports/Connectors  Line-out (front)|Line-out/headphones-out|Microphone-in|Speaker-out/line-out|Analog CD audio-in|Audio extension header|Auxiliary-in|Digital CD audio-in|Digital-out|Line-in

Digital Output  Yes

Speaker Support  6

Number of Simultaneous Voices  96 distinct 3D voices, 256 DirectSound voices, 576 wavetable voices

Included Software  Audio HQ (Version 1), Surround Mixer, Creative Launcher, Creative PlayCenter 2.2, Creative Recorder 1.04, Creative WaveStudio, Creative Rhythmania, Creative Keytar, Oozic Player 3.0

System Requirements  Intel® Pentium® processor 133MHz or faster; 16MB RAM (32MB recommended); Windows 95, 98, NT 4.0, 2000 or ME; available PCI slot; headphones or amplified speakers; CD-ROM drive

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Audio Card

Model: SB0410

Ideal upgrade from basic motherboard audio to enhanced music, movies and gaming that comes alive. Convert old records and tapes into digital audio for sound like never before.

* 24-bit multichannel performance/96kHz stereo

* 100dB SNR for ultraquiet, high-definition audio

* 7.1-channel surround sound support delivers a captivating theater-like experience with DVD movies

Product Features 

EAX music enhancements improve CD and MP3 music with features such as bass boost, multiband graphic equalizer, audio clean-up and more 

24-bit Advanced HD audio projects 256 times the resolution of your basic built-in sound for a thundering display

EAX Advanced HD game effects provide 3D audio with realistic sound, sophisticated reverb effects and mulitchannel surround for more than 400 existing 3D games 

CMSS 3D audio technology transforms stereo recordings, including MP3/WMA and CD music, into immersive 7.1 surround sound

64-voice polyphony and multitimbral capability; 2MB or 4MB GM SoundFont bank included 

SPDIF output delivers up to 24-bit resolution at selectable sampling rate of 44.1, 48 or 96kHz 

On-board connectors include front, side, rear, center and subwoofer line level-out, headphone-out/in, line-in and aux audio-in 

Windows Media 9 Pro audio content in 24-bit/96kHz quality and multichannel surround 

Product Details 

Sound Type Supported  Sound Blaster

Interface Slot Type  PCI

External Ports/Connectors  Line level-out, headphone-out|line-in, microphone-in, aux audio-in

Speaker Support  5.1, 6.1, 7.1

Number of Simultaneous Voices  64

Included Software  Creative Media Source Go!, Go! Launcher, Player/Organizer; Creative Device Control, Surround Mixer, EAX Console, WaveStudio, Speaker Settings, MiniDisc Center, Graphic Equalizer and Diagnostic

System Requirements  Intel® Pentium® III processor 450MHz or AMD® K7 processor 500MHz; 64MB RAM for Windows ME (128MB for 2000 SP2 and XP); WDM driver for ME, 2000 (SP3 and SP4) and XP (SP1 and SP2)

Additional System Requirements  For games, viewing DVD titles or Internet radio: Genuine Intel® Pentium® III or AMD® processor; 500MHz; 2nd generation DVD-ROM drive with InterVideo WinD

It seems that the difference is that one is just a newer version of the sb live with 7.1 sound support, thus requiring more cpu power. IMO, I would pick the older version because it is known to work with linux (the EMU10k1 chip is a giveaway) while who knows what chipset is used for the 7.1 version.

thx

yeah, a google showed a few people having issues with the new, but these post were 4 to 6 month old and with this cards popularity i figured it may not be a prob now. I agree the older is probably the way to go and still better than what I have.

Edited by bvc