Mandrake 10.1 stop working at hardware detection

Guest tfrache

Guest tfrache

Hi,

I just installed the Mandrake v10.1. I had no problem to install the system with the 3 CDs. However, during the startup process, the system stops at the hardware detection (I guess this is when the system try to find new devices). Can I bypass this step ?

Thanks in advance

TF

hi and welcome aboard :)

try booting first with all usb-devices and printers etc unplugged from your box (then disable harddrake, explained below). if that does not help, boot into your system and select the failsafe mode at lilo-boot-selection.

when asked for interactive setup, press "I" in order to start it. there you can skip harddrake. then, when you get to the first prompt, type "init 5" and continue until you get into your system. now start the mandrake control-center, go to the "system" section → services and disable harddrake on startup by unchecking the box.

good luck :beer:

Guest tfrache

Thanks for your help! Currently, I've three choices to start the system:

1) using the Linux entry: The system starts in graphic mode and I can only push ESC to show the console and the "I" key has no effect (even if I press I during all the boot process!) ;

2) using the safemode: In this case, the system starts and I can get access to the console but I don't know what I can do in this case.

3) using the other linux entry (linux (fb I guess)): Same as 1)

I think I'll be able to learn by myself when the system will be started. Can you help me a little to achieve this please ?

Very thanks again !

Thierry

in safemode, at the first prompt, type init 3. at the second prompt, type your username and press enter. then enter your password and pres enter. finally type startx and press enter and you will get a graphical environment. from there you should be able to disable harddrake as explained before.