serial device problem [solved]

aioshin

hello to all.

pls help me, i want to load the kernel module that will support serial or ttysX, coz i think, it wasnt loaded, bcoz, if ill try to install an external modem to accept dial-in... mgetty and other requirements were installed already, but i always get an error something like below...

Jan 11 14:13:51 locahost mgetty[2991]: mod: cannot open line /dev/ttys0: Input/output error

Jan 11 14:13:51 localhost mgetty[2991]: open device /dev/ttys0 failed: Input/output error

Jan 11 14:13:51 localhost mgetty[2991]: cannot get terminal line dev=ttys0, exiting: Input/output error

Jan 11 14:13:51 localhost init: Id "S0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

the modem is ok, since I tried is to dial to a local isp and it works...

.pls, anybody, help, what should i do about it?

What module do you want to load? Are you sure it isn't loaded (in a console type: lsmod) What errors do you get when you load it? (type: modprobe <name of module>

I tried this

root>#modprobe serial

FATAL: Module serial not found.

also, when i use drakhardware.... d errors are below

# drakhardware

Please wait while probing serial ports...

How can I insert or install this module?

Edited by aioshin

• 1 month later...

pls marked this problem of mine as solved.. what i did was, I installed a kernel-source-2.6-xx.rpm and make install it and the problem dis-appears, I dont know, but that was when I am using the default installed 2.6-x-kernel of mandrake 10.1 and also for 10.0...I tried the default mdk 10.1 kernel-2.4-xx.rpm and got no problem. also I never got this problem using fc3 and rh9... well, I consider it solved, I can dial-up, and send fax now, using hyla..