Can't start Rosegarden in 10.1 beta

cenobite

HI !

I'm just trying out the progs included in the Mandrake 10.1 beta version, but can't start Rosegarden ?!? (R4 v0.9.9)

this is what I get when I rpm for alsa in console:

libalsa-data-1.0.6-1mdk

libalsa2-1.0.6-1mdk

I got the Intel 810 Ac 97 audio codec integrated soundcard on my Abit motherboard.

All I get is the Soundgarden startup window which displays:

- initializing view....

then nothing happens.

Anyone got a clue ?

Best regards

Ole

Rosegarden is a midi application. You need to install jack (urpmi qjackctl) and qsynth. Further you need a soundfont file (containing all the instruments (church organs and so on. Look in the rosegarden help for a place where you can download one).

First start qjackctl, then qsynt and then rosegarden.

Have fun.

Rosegarden is a midi application. You need to install jack (urpmi qjackctl) and qsynth. Further you need a soundfont file (containing all the instruments (church organs and so on. Look in the rosegarden help for a place where you can download one).

First start qjackctl, then qsynt and then rosegarden.

Have fun.

Hi !

I took some time off, but I've now manage to URPMI the two packages you told me to get.

When starting qjackctl I get this message; "Could not open ALSA sequencer as a client: midi patchbay will not be available." And when then opening the qsynth I first get this message; "qsynth1: failed to create the audiodriver (jack). Cannot continue without it." And a little window that displays;

18:28:12.995 qsynth1: Creating synthesizer engine...

18:28:14.042 qsynth1: Creating audio driver (jack)...

18:28:14.046 qsynth1: Failed to create the audio driver (jack). Cannot continue without it.

fluidsynth: error: Jack server not running?

18:30:11.054 qsynth1: Destroying synthesizer engine...

18:30:11.056 qsynth1: Synthesizer engine terminated.

Hmmm.... any clue of what this means ? I've tried to configure them both, but I can't fix it....

Try running qjackctl as root (open a console, log in as root and type qjackctl &)

Hi again !

Then I got this message in console;

- "[ole@minlinuxboks ole]$ su

Password:

[root@minlinuxboks ole]# qjackctl &

[1] 7894

[root@minlinuxboks ole]# Warning: no locale found: /usr/share/locale/qjackctl_nb_NO.qm

And a window in KDE displaying:

- "Could not open ALSA sequencer as a client: midi patchbay will not be available." (as before)

And a message from Jack Audio:

- "20:00:11.062 Statistics reset.

20:00:11.135 Could not open ALSA sequencer as a client. MIDI patchbay will be not available.

ALSA lib seq_hw.c:446:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory

JACK compiled with System V SHM support"

It seems like there is some paths or user permissions that are set wrong ?

Something tells me that "ALSA sequencer" seems like a high prioity to make working..... :joker:

So the question is now:

- Why do i get the "Could not open ALSA sequencer as a client. MIDI patchbay will be not available.", when opening QJackCTL ?

- Why Qsynth wont recognize eighter Jack or Alsa-seq drivers ?

????????????????????????????????

And uh...I forgot to ask....... anyone got Rosegarden up and running in Mandrake at all ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest beniabas

I had the same problem.

ran alsaconf from the terminal, then used a mixer (eg. alsamixer) to set volume levels.

alsaconf adds the appropriate lines to modprobe.conf to get things working automatically.

All fixed now.

Hey guys !

I now upgraded to Mandrake 10.1 Official since last time. It seems like I get a little bit longer in the Rosegarden project this time :-)

Here's the deal:

I was just browsing my system configuration when I noticed that I could choose between two audidrivers for my sound card ( I got the intel 810 standard AC '97 etc, onboard thing....)

Go to "configure your computer"

- Select hardware

- Click on the name of the soundcard and "run config tool".

At the top it says" Here you can choose between an alternative driver (eigther OSS or ALSA) for your soundcard. You card are now using ALSA "snd_intel8x0" driver. (Standard driver for your card is "i810_audio")

So before I checked into this, my card had the OSS driver installed. I changed to the ALSA driver and I now can staret JACKctl without any errors. It now seems that Jack are up and running (hopefully,hehe). Then the next thing to start is "Qsynth" which I also got an error when starting because Jack wasn't loaded correctly.

When starting Qsynth I get an error. I can't start Qsynth with eigther Alsa or Jack as audio driver. But when I choose "file" instead of those two (jack or alsa), Qsynth starts without any errors...?

(start Qsynth, click "setup", click audio, change to "file"). When both Jack and Qsynth (with "file" as audiodriver in Qsynth) are loaded, I start Rosegarden. Rosegarden are also starting !!!! The only problem now is that I can't get any sound......

Under "configure Rosegarden", I clicked "sequencer" and and under "general", the sequencer displays; "MIDI OK, no audio" ???? Here is the full detailed status;

Rosegarden 4-0.9.9 - AlsaDriver - alsa-lib version 1.0.6

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - JACK server not running

ALSA Client information:

129,0 - (FLUID Synth (qsynth1), Synth input port (qsynth1:0)) (WRITE ONLY) [ctype 1, ptype 1048576, cap 66]

Creating device 0 in Play mode for connection 129:0 Synth input port (qsynth1:0) (write)

Default device name for this device is MIDI soft synth

Current timer set to "system timer"

AlsaDriver::initialiseMidi - initialised MIDI subsystem

AlsaDriver::setPlausibleConnection: connection like 64:0 M Audio Audiophile 24/96 MPU-401 (duplex) requested for device 0

AlsaDriver::setPlausibleConnection: nothing suitable available

Creating device 1 in Play mode -- no connection available

Default device name for this device is Anonymous MIDI device 1

AlsaDriver::setPlausibleConnection: connection like 128:0 KAMix: qamix (write) requested for device 1

Creating device 2 in Play mode -- no connection available

Default device name for this device is Anonymous MIDI device 2

Creating device 3 in Play mode -- no connection available

Default device name for this device is Anonymous MIDI device 3

It still display Jack server not running !?! and why does Qsynth work only when selecting "file" as audio driver ? When choosing "Jack" as audio driver in Qsynth I still get this message;

11:35:52.396 qsynth1: Failed to create the audio driver (jack). Cannot continue without it.

fluidsynth: error: Jack server not running?

11:35:53.952 qsynth1: Destroying synthesizer engine...

11:35:53.953 qsynth1: Synthesizer engine terminated.

And when clicking start on Jack Audio Connection Kit, I get this message:

11:39:33.270 Statistics reset.

11:39:33.375 MIDI connection graph change.

11:40:10.651 MIDI connection graph change.

11:40:10.658 MIDI connection change.

11:40:25.031 MIDI connection graph change.

11:40:25.151 MIDI connection change.

11:41:03.253 Startup script...

11:41:03.254 artsshell -q terminate

sound server terminated

11:41:03.657 Startup script terminated successfully.

11:41:03.658 JACK is starting...

11:41:03.660 /usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -ddefault -r48000 -p1024 -n2

11:41:03.716 JACK was started with PID=5710 (0x164e).

jackd 0.99.14

Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.

jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it

under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

cannot lock down memory for jackd (Operation not permitted)

loading driver ..

apparent rate = 48000

creating alsa driver ... default|default|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit

ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to capture-only mode

cannot load driver module alsa

11:41:03.976 JACK was stopped successfully.

11:41:05.744 Could not connect to JACK server as client.

Also something about PCM device that wont work ?

Well, this is all I get out of my Rosegarden project so far :-), so if anyone got a clue on what the problem might be..... please post a reply !!

Thanx !

Best regards

Hi !

Thanx Devries ! I now got a little further in this project. I read the Rosegarden Tutorial and found out that only changing to ALSA audio driver in drakconf wasn't enough. My "kinfocenter" didnt' have the sound option, so I manually had to click "System - configuration - KDE - sound" and change to ALSA setting. Then, after downloading the soundfonts from the site devries mentioned, everything seems to be set.

In Rosegarden I clicked; Configure Rosegarden - Sequencer, and the sequencer status displays now; MIDI OK, audio OK !!! :-) and I also set up the path to the soundfonts.

Still, I can't get any sound when playback ?!?! Even when QJackctl, Qsynth and Rosegarden seems to be configuered right.

There is one thing I've noticed that may have something to do with this, and that is the message I get from the detailed status under Sequencer in Rosegarden......

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - JACK sample rate = 44100Hz, buffer size = 2048

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - creating disk thread

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - found 2 JACK physical outputs

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "rosegarden:master out L" to "alsa_pcm:playback_1"

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "rosegarden:master out R" to "alsa_pcm:playback_2"

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - found 2 JACK physical inputs

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "alsa_pcm:capture_1" to "rosegarden:record in 1 L"

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "alsa_pcm:capture_2" to "rosegarden:record in 1 R"

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - initialised JACK audio subsystem

ALSA Client information:

129,0 - (FLUID Synth (qsynth1), Synth input port (qsynth1:0)) (WRITE ONLY) [ctype 1, ptype 1048576, cap 66]

Creating device 0 in Play mode for connection 129:0 Synth input port (qsynth1:0) (write)

Current timer set to "PCM playback 0-0-0"

AlsaDriver::initialiseMidi - initialised MIDI subsystem

AlsaDriver::setPlausibleConnection: connection like 64:0 M Audio Audiophile 24/96 MPU-401 (duplex) requested for device 0

Creating device 2 in Play mode -- no connection available

Default device name for this device is Anonymous MIDI device 1

AlsaDriver::setPlausibleConnection: connection like 128:0 KAMix: qamix (write) requested for device 2

Creating device 3 in Play mode -- no connection available

Default device name for this device is Anonymous MIDI device 2

Creating device 4 in Play mode -- no connection available

Default device name for this device is Anonymous MIDI device 3

Notice the underlined text: " 129,0 - (FLUID Synth (qsynth1), Synth input port (qsynth1:0)) (WRITE ONLY) [ctype 1, ptype 1048576, cap 66] " ?!?!?!

Still WRITE ONLY ?!?! :deal:

I think I followed the Rosegarden Tutorial pretty close, and got the same input/output messages when setting this up.

I wont give this up now since I yet again got some step closer to target :cheesy:

So please anyone (anyone means devries I think, hehe.....)

Best regards

This is mine

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - JACK sample rate = 48000Hz, buffer size = 512

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - creating disk thread

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - found 2 JACK physical outputs

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "rosegarden:master out L" to "alsa_pcm:playback_1"

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "rosegarden:master out R" to "alsa_pcm:playback_2"

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - found 2 JACK physical inputs

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "alsa_pcm:capture_1" to "rosegarden:record in 1 L"

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "alsa_pcm:capture_2" to "rosegarden:record in 1 R"

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - initialised JACK audio subsystem

ALSA Client information:

129,0 - (FLUID Synth (17310), Synth input port (17310:0))  (WRITE ONLY) [ctype 1, ptype 1048576, cap 66]

Creating device 0 in Play mode for connection 129:0 Synth input port (17310:0) (write)

AlsaDriver::initialiseMidi -  initialised MIDI subsystem

So we can be pretty sure what's beneath in your output are the error messages. Write only doesn't seem to be a problem. This seems more like it

Google says: http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-multime...4-Sep/0066.html

I don't know if you can read german so I'll translate it: You have to change the midi device. Click on the half keyboard/green icon (5th from left, manage midi devices) and choose the other :D

That should do it. Else try in Rosegarden, seqeuencer not to load the soundfonts. That works for me but than I have a cheapo onboard sound and not a soundblaster :).

Good luck.

And a little organ to keep you motivated  (remove the txt bit) :drum:  :lol2:

Hi again devries !!

Nice organ :-) hehe

Well. What can I tell..... It's all working now !!!!! I'm not sure how, but I took a look of what you mentioned about that midi selection but didn't know which one to import..... But after some browsing around wondering, I loaded my soundfonts into Qsynth (setup - soundfonts- open). Then after rebooting my whole linuxbox once, it all worked perfect !!!! :headbang:

So then I have to dive into the world of MIDI and see how it all work. Need to get me a keyboard as well, hehe !

Any suggestion ? :thumbs:

Best regard