Should I upgrade ?

kernel upgrades can occassionally cause problems, but they are generally safe. Mandrake usually leaves the old kernel where it is and adds a new entry in your bootloader for the new kernel. This means that if anything goes wrong you can always boot the old kernel and everything will be fine.

If you're feeling paranoid back up your files before you proceed :D

Having seen so many problems with Kernels makes me a little paranoid, but I'll download the new one tonight if you say it's harmless.

If you were running a 2.4 kernel on your desktop, then upgrading to the 2.6 would be worth the effort.

But going from your 2.6.3-7 kernel to a 2.6.8.1-12 ?? is really not worth it unless you have problems that only an upgraded kernel can fix.

updating other software packages is okay, but with kernels, only update if you really have some problems (e.g. hardware, networking etc.) with the current kernel. rule of thumb: never change a perfectly-running kernel.... unless you really know why you need to do it. :)

Alea iacta est since you like latin :cheesy: I'm already running it and hasn't caused any problems so far .. Or maybe it has ? I don't know who's fault was it but Linux locked up on me. The no of procs increased from 80 to 102-3, gkrellm showed 3 users logged in (WTF?) and finally I had to restart. I don't think I was hacked. I checked the logs with last, w and who and they seemed ok.

Edited by a13x