.htaccess prompts, but user not found?

lefthook

Ok I got .htaccess almost working, it shows login box, but I cannot enter with right password. I have in /var/www/apache/htdocs/secure .htaccess file which points to /var/www/apache/.htpasswd & there I have .htpasswd with user & passwd made ok. The file has rw right for apache. Why I cannot access with right user / passwd? Error_log says:

Could not open password file & user X not found.

I have read some tutos,but they don.t talk about httpd.conf if there is something to add. Thanks to Paul for the last time help. Now more searches with google...

strange :?:

I have 2 setups ...

1. .htacess and .htpasswd in the protected directory

1. .htaccess and .htpasswd in a seperate directory with require valid user setup in commonhttpd.conf

both work fine.

if it can't find the .htpasswd then put it in the same directory as .htacess, change the path in .htaccess then try it again.

if it can read it, then it IS a permissions thing and you're on the right track

Ok, I found that if I have just :

AuthUserFile .htpasswd it points (apache searches) to my server root -> /var/www/apache, not to same dir where .htaccess file is. But auth. / .htpasswd works from there & I suppose that it is good enough place for it. I Did not found yet why it points there as default.