Finally Installed Arch

Hello everyone,

Ok so finally I was able to install Arch on my computer. So far I just added it so LILO can boot it up with the help of tyme and cybrjackle.

Now the new thing I need to find out is what to install to finally boot into it!

Some of the things I have done already is,

pacman -Suy

Guess that updates all the programs, ( by the way I'm chroot'd in to arch )

and now I need to get my wireless or Internet working under arch, I have a linksys WPC11 card, and so far I have done,

pacman -S wlan-ng26

so far I have no Idea what so over to do from here, as far as xorg and DE and WM to install or what to do, so I'm asking you guys to help me out, I'm triying to read some of the FAQ by wiki .

Thanks,

-Luis

ok well nvm I got a bunch of new stuff, including internet working and xorg

the only thing now is the xorg config I'm having trouble with it so I'm wodering if I can just copy my Xfree config file onto there?

-Luis

well I did change the driver to "keyboard" and I guess I was able to use it, after I did startx I was able to do Ctrl+Alt+backspace

so I'm guessing that means the keyboard is working fine,

the other things right now is the mouse, I can't figure out why it's not working I have tried a lot of diferent things like /dev/input/mice , /dev/input/mouse0 and nothing seems to be working, the mouse is a Logitech USB mouse 3 bottons. I put in the same /dev as I have in madrake but that does work either.

also I can't get my Wireless connection working for some reason now, some of the commands I did to start up my wireless card just stoped working.

-Luis

OK,

Cool now I have it working, man do I have to tell ALL OF YOU ARCH IS GREAT it is a very very cool distro. Just kinda was a pain installing it :P but I was able to master it!

Now they only problem I'm having right now is sound is not working, besides that everything seems to be running good, I yet have to test out other things.

I will get to all of it tomorrow after school.

-Luis

Well I got sound working and for some reason my USB mouse only works when a stardar mouse is Plugged in? Isn't that odd? :D

Right now the main problem is I'm missing some things from gnome 2.6. Also another thing that I'm having a major problem with is having those modules for my wireless card and sound to start up at boot. I have tried soo many things that people have suggested but still nothing, I have to find my self typing about 6 commands to get wireless and sound working.

-Luis

From what I remember and I could be wrong Arch is something like Slack. You can but the commands you are typing into the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file for your wireless to start. That file is for any extra things that you want to have load on start.

As your mouse if you have a usb one. Change the /dev/mouse to /dev/input/mice in your xorg.conf. You can also add under in the mouse "options" a new line "ZAxisMapping" "4 5".

If you have already done all that, then just forget what I have just typed. :jester:

FX

Latest:

Since there seems to be a bug with xorg 6.8 or so Iphitus tells me I will be downgrading to xfree :),

anyhow I was able to get sound and internet ( wireless ) working but they still do not how ever start up on boot I have tried almost every single Wiki HOWTO out there and followed them step by step and still not getting anything. :( any more suggestions?

-Luis

Ok so I downgrade from xorg to Xfree.

So far my mouse has been working ( just need to get the scroll button working ) sound is working dmix and everything upon boot up, just the glxgears are low like in Mandrake just before I compiled the kernel. So I guess in the future I might have to do that to get this working correctly

-Luis

Hello,

Well I just keep on running updates like every single day, lol. Anyways the reason that my USB mouse was not working when I booted up my computer was because it was not loading up the module. So what I did is I found out what the module was and then I just added it to my /etc/rc.conf . I have not yet rebooted so I don't know if it's going to work or not.

My sound is great, dmixing and everything ( I think I already mentioned that )

Now the only thing that I need help is on getting wireless to work on boot. I have added some modules here and there but can' keep track of them, I have a Linksys WPC11 version 3 I think.

Anyways here is what I have in my rc.conf hopfully someone knows what else I have to add to get this working. Everytime that my computer boots I have to do the following,

dhcpcd wlan0

to get wireless running, What I would like is for my system to start and if It can't find any hardwire connection thrue my NIC to move on to my Wireless, this way when I go over friends house ( they don't have wireless ) I can just hook up my laptop and I'm ready to go.

Laters,

-Luis

Hello again,

Well I got my USB mouse and my Wireless to start up on boot, so that Issue is out of the way.

The one problem that I'm having right now is when I play bzflag. The game runs fine but the colors of the text inside the game are very very messed up. and I have NO sound in the game.

I have ran,

bzflag -window

to have bzflag run inside the terminal window instead of full screen in hope that I can take a screenshot and show you guys what I'm talking about. But the mouse is contained within the terminal window so I can't run or open up any other applications. If someone knows how to get around this please tell me so I can get the screenie out. In the mean time any help is cool.

-Luis