I can't find my firefox browser

axel_2078

I just installed the firefox browser and the thundermail client (or at least thought I did) but I can't find the links to open them anywhere. THey aren't listed in any of my menus. I went to the download site, clicked on the link, did "open file" and then when all of the files came up, I clicked on the first file in the list, which appeard to be the installer file. It took me through the graphical install of both programs and opened them up when finished. However, after closing them out, I can not figure out how to reopen them. What am I doing wrong?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to create a link to where you installed firefox. I believe by default it's /usr/local/firefox/firefox-installer/firefox. You can search for the executable using slocate and it will tell you where it is at. Once you find it, you can link up to it using menudrake.

For thunderbird, you have to run the script:

./thunderbird
from within the directory that got created when you extracted the tar. Again, you can link up to it using menudrake. Edited by spiedra

It says "can not run the specified command". I've been at this for 2 hours now and still can't figure out how to use firefox web browser and thunderbird email. Am I installing it wrong or something? I can find the installer file, but not the file that executes the program.

The binaries (the program, sort of) can ususally be found in /usr/bin. I just looked (got an old version installed 0.8) and I have a shellscript (start up script, sort of) called mozilla-firefox in my /usr/bin. If I double click it firefox starts.

Now you have obviously not something called mozilla-firefox, but look for something similar in /usr/bin. Or if you use KDE try kappfinder, see if that gives something.

Good luck

For the new firefox, it didn't create the executable in /usr/bin. It stayed in /usr/local. Post your results after you run slocate.

slocate firefox

Also where did you download the tar for thunderbird? After you extracted the tar, it would have created another directory. cd over to the new directory and run from a console:

./thunderbird

Or whatever the name of the executable is. You'll know if you see a file with a * next to it.

I tried unsuccessfully several times last night and I still couldn't figure out how to bring up firefox and thunderbird. The only time they came up was after the initial install. Once the screens were closed out, I couldn't find them anymore. They weren't in any of the menus. I've done searches for them, but it only finds the installer files. Is setting up a browser and email client really this complicated?

hmmm, you can install firefox via urpmi. it is not version .93 but .82 but it works okay nonetheless. as root type in your console urpmi firefox and you are done with menu entries et all.

if you use the binaries, it should work this way:

extract the files, run the installer script. it will create a directory for firefox (or thunderbird respectively) in your home directory. go to that directory. there should be a "firefox"("thunderbird") entry. use menudrake to link your new menu-entry to that file, save and you are done.

Edited by arctic

It still isn't working. When the installer script runs, it doesn't seem to be trying to install firefox...it seems to be trying to install the actual installer program and it doesn't install to the /usr directory. By default this is where it installs to: file:/tmp/kde-kevin/arkkVVmLR/firefox-installer/firefox-installer

See what I mean about how it tries to install the installer file after you run the install file? Also, it created no directories in my home directory.

I've installed Firefox and Thunderbird as a nomal user (not as root) as follows :

Download fifrefox and thunderbird from the Mozilla site to /home/dmkh (dmkh is my nomal user account)

Untar the file (Right click on the file - Action - Extract here)

Open a terminal and change to the newly created (/home/dmkh/firefox-install) and run the command ./firefox-installer as normal user). Exit the terminal

To complete the installation, come back to the directory /home/dmkh/firefox-install. There I can see a file named "firefox" (without quotes). Double click on this file to set up Firefox for the first time. From now on, this same file "firefox" will be the launcher of firefox.

The procedure is the same for thunderbird.

If you want to see them on the menu you must add them manually (Right click on the Yellow Start - Edit Menu ...). Don't forget to save your modification after having edited the menu.

Edited by dmkh

did you try:

su
<enter your root password>
updatedb 
locate firefox-bin

the "updatedb" step might take a while.

locate firefox-bin should hsow you where the firefox "executable" is located, for example if the answer is /home/axel_2078/firefox/firefox-bin you should then be able to type:

cd /home//home/axel_2078/firefox
firefox

and that should laucnh firefox.

if this doesn't work, replace "locate firefox-bin" with "locate firefox" and psot the results here.

I've installed Firefox and Thunderbird as a nomal user (not as root) as follows :

Download  fifrefox and thunderbird from the Mozilla site to /home/dmkh (dmkh is my nomal user account)

Untar the file (Right click on the file - Action - Extract here)

Open a terminal and change to the newly created (/home/dmkh/firefox-install) and run the command ./firefox-installer as normal user). Exit the terminal

To complete the installation, come back to the directory /home/dmkh/firefox-install. There I can see a file named "firefox" (without quotes). Double click on this file to set up Firefox for the first time. From now on, this same file "firefox" will be the launcher of firefox.

The procedure is the same for thunderbird.

If you want to see them on the menu you must add them manually (Right click on the Yellow Start - Edit Menu ...). Don't forget to save your modification after having edited the menu.

Thank you!! This totally worked for me. :D All is well now. Thank you guys so much for helping me out. I hope one day I'll be as knowledgable as you guys so I can help out others. Thanks again!! You guys rock. :headbang: