I can't find my firefox browser

axel_2078

You can also install Firefox 0.9.3 via URPMI. If you surf to http://mandrakemag.tux.com.au/ you'll find a step-by-step tutorial in the current issue. It's all there.

Forgive the plug, consider the suggestion :-)

That's funny: I just subscribed to your mandrakemag, saw the article, then came to post a link to it in this thread only to find that the author himself hangs around here.

Is there a way to have the back issues mailed to me? I'm a GMail user and would like to keep all issues in the same place (my GMail account) and in the same format.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've downloaded and installed Thunderbird. From the directory, I've created a shortcut to the desktop so that I'm able to launch Thunderbird quickly.

I've tried to install it in my menu, but it didn't work, but I can go back to that sometime later.

In the meantime, I'd like to be able to change the desktop icon, but there doesn't seem to the option available - anyone know if this is possible?

I'm using mdk9.2

You should be able to change it. Right-click the icon and choose properties. When the information comes up, and you see the icon representing the shortcut on the left, click on the icon and then it should bring up a menu where you can change the icon. That's how it works in 10.0, so I'm hoping it's the same for you.

I've tried to install it in my menu, but it didn't work, but I can go back to that sometime later.

start menudrake, add thunderbird to the folder you want and when it asks you of the executable, you have to write in the full path to the executable, e.g. /home/blah/t-bird/thunderbird. select an icon, save the entry, and you are done. ;)

Thanks for the advice to arctic and axel 2078. However, still not getting anywhere.

Thunderbird icon on the desktop.

This is a shortcut from the directory where I have downloaded and unzipped, as in dmkh's earlier email. The file which is titled Thunderbird is a shell script. When you double click it loads Thunderbird. It is this icon which i have placed a shortcut to on the desktop and allows me access to the client.

If I right click/properties on the desktop icon, I can see the icon on the left, but clicking on it does not allow it to be changed. Is this because its a shell script I wonder?

I would like Thunderbird to be the default client (Start Applications/config/KDE/Components/Components chooser/Email Client/Use a diiferent email client then browse to select.)

However, following the instructions by arctic I'm going wrong somewhere. I can get an icon to the applications menu, but it will not load Thunderbird.

This is what I did

From MenuDrake (root menu) scroll down to Networking/Mail on left hand side.

With Mail icon highlighted and opened, I clicked on 'add applications' from toolbar, in Title, I enter Thunderbird and in Comamnd I write '/home/blah/Thunderbird/thunderbird install/thunderbird' (without apostrophe's) and save. Whereby 'thunderbird' in the 'thunderbird install' directory is the shell script to load the programme.

This has now brought an icon to the applications menu. However, when I click on it nothing happens.

Any ideas?

This is what I did and it worked. Right-click on the desktop and select "new link to application". When the box opens, the default icon on the left should be a blue gear. You can change it by clicking on it and picking a new one. In the box next to it (I think it says application) you name it whatever you want. In this case you'd name it Thunderbird. Then on the third tab at the top, you enter the path to the shortcut. In my case it's /home/kevin/thunderbird/thunderbird. For firefox it was /home/kevin/firefox-installer/firefox. Give that a try and see what happens.

Thanks axel_2078 - I now have an icon on the desktop. In this respect, all is working well - thanks.

However, I still can't get Thunderbird to fire up from the Applications menu; I have an icon alongside KMail. Clicking on Thunderbird icon, as set up in MenuDrake.

Anyideas anyone?

... sorry, cut short on the previous message. What I meant to say was, when I go into application start menu, under Networking/Mail/Kmail/Thunderbird

if I click on Thunderbird, it will not fire up.

Thunderbird has been installed here using menudrake as per the above details.

uuh, you are not trying to replace the executable of kmail with thunderbird in the menu, i hope. you have to make a completely new entry for thunderbird. changing kmail will cause a mess. your entry in the menu should be: internet → email → thunderbird, not internet → email →kmail → thunderbird.

edit: hmm... the only other idea i have now is checking the user rights for the app. maybe it is set to root and needs to be changed. :unsure:

Edited by arctic

uuh, you are not trying to replace the executable of kmail with thunderbird in the menu, i hope. you have to make a completely new entry for thunderbird. changing kmail will cause a mess. your entry in the menu should be: internet ? email ? thunderbird, not internet ? email ?kmail ? thunderbird.

edit: hmm... the only other idea i have now is checking the user rights for the app. maybe it is set to root and needs to be changed.  :unsure:

I've not tried to replace KMail - I simply wanted to be able to access and startup Thunderbird from the Start Applications menu if desired. If the menu should read internet/email/Thunderbird - how do I remove Kmail (if I'm not to replace it?) The set up at the moment is Internet/mail/Kmail/Thunderbird.

From the Start Apps Menu, Kmail will start up (though its not configured) and Thunderbird will not start at all from this menu (and this is configured). I can get to Thunderbird from the desktop shortcut.

I believe though, that in order to allow Thunderbird to be my default client, it will need to be located within the Start Applications, so that I can utilise Start Applications Menu/Configure/KDE/Components/Component chooser and to browse from here to the menu (cannot browse directly to the dedsktop).

if you want a fast access to thunderbird you can drag&drop the desktop-thunderbird icon to the taskbar. that is the fastest access. but i really wonder what you are doing with your menu... it must look weird now. :lol: if i were your neighbour, i would come to your house and do it... it would be faster and less painful. ;)

how do I remove Kmail

you don't need to remove it. you can add as many menu entries as you like. take a close look to menudrakes structure.

another hint: did you check that you are setting this menu-entry for your desktop? you can select the desktop in the upper menu "woking area": kde, gnome, blackbox,..., all

:wall::wall::wall::wall: :D

Well, I kinda managed to get Thunderbird as my default (if I'm on a web site and click on an email address, it loads up - but doesn't install the email address into the To:Line, guess I'll need to go to another bulletin board or start a new thread somewhere.)

I have the Thunderbird option within the Apps Start menu structure - but when I click on it, absolutely nuthin happens!

I also have Kmail within the menu structure and clicking on this loads the client.

I'm accessing Thunderbird through desktop shortcut - which is OK.

Thanks you guys for going thru this with me.

I'm going to take arctic's advise and look further into the whole menudrake structure in a lot more detail - I've probably goofed somewhere - gonna take a break tho - been at this all day and not got any work done :unsure: