error installing ettercap; libpcap not found

Guest tabascal

Guest tabascal

I have donloaded the latest ver of ettercap and tried to compile it.

Whenenver I have tried to ./configure itgive an error libpcacp not found, though libpcap is instaled by default

The latest version of ettereal is working which uses libpcap

Please help

Edited by tabascal

Ettercap probably expects libpcacp (.so???) at an other place then where Mandrake installed it. You can try making a symbolic link form the Mandrake installed libcpcap to where ettercap wants it. (ln -s /usr/bin/libpcap.so????? /usr/local/bin???????????/libpcap). Look in the error output for clues where to put the link

Good luck.

the issue is that you're compiling it you need the libraries/sources, not just the final compiled version. try installing libpcap-devel and then do the ./configure. you may find you'll need other -devel packages, too.

actually, yours could apply to ./configure too - but i don't think it does, in this specific case. ./configure wants to make sure you have all the libraries it requires before it compiles anything. errors during make are usually a result of bad or incompatable code.

you can also sometimes specify what directories to look in, but usually ./configure will check all the directories in your environment that could be pertinent (i.e. /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, etc).