xmms

bigjohn

This is going to sound like a really stupid question, but

How in hell do I get xmms to play audio cd's?

I have both a cdrom/cdrw device and a dvd player.

If I put a disc in the cdrom/cdrw and press play on the front panel button I get sound. I get system sounds as well so things seem to be working.

Now, when I open xmms up, I put a disc in either drive and xmms doesn't see that there is a disc in either drive.

I have read some so called instructions for xmms and that tells me that I click on the "eject" button and get the dialogue for load files. So I tell it to go to my desktop "removeable media" and try to select cdrom or cdrom2 (I don't recall which way round it is) but I get nothing.

So, what do I need to do to get xmms to (a) see that there is a disc in one of the drives and (B) get it to be able to play the music.

regards

John

:?: Well thankyou everybody.

I am not entirely sure how I have got it working but I now have sound coming out of the system under xmms!!!!

So, to start with, I tried the obvious and as SDMF said, tried the "xmms /mnt/cdrom" - for some reason my mandrake install has labelled my dvd as cdrom and my burner as cdrom2. Anyhow, that got me nowhere.

So next I have tried bvc's idea of looking at Dolsons site and I have followed the tutorial - to the letter. But again this got me nowhere. Though it put me into thought mode and as I don't have any digital speakers I got to the bit about selecting the output and have left it as direct audio output instead of telling it to read the cd digitally.

That still got me nothing.

Now somehow I managed to get a sort of list of options up in the playlist window, and option number 1 is desktop entry. I don't recall whether I clicked that or not, but I got the playlist option dialogue up and although when I tell it to use cdrom2 I get nothing. Somehow, I got a file tree dialogue up and have run down that and under scsi managed to select a file path (i presume that is what you would call it) that points to something about scsi emulation and it's only option was lun0. I seem to recall something about burners often using scsi emulation, so I have selected that and told xmms to "load list", and as if by magic, it has given me the disc track list. And then with the usual "play" clicks I have got the mystical sounds of "Crimson Idol" by Wasp (I saw them live at Donnington in 1992 - along with 84999 other people - a truely wonderful gig if you are into stadium rock!!!!)

I have just had a quick meddle with xmms and it appears that the "desktop entry" option points me at /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target2/lun0 and that is the one that gives me sound. If I just try to load list, I just get the option of cdrom, cdrom2 and floppy to load the playlist from and that gives me nothing. (oh and just to make sure that I'm not seeing things I have stuck a copy of some "slipknot" that my nephew did for me and that's playing ok)

If someone could unravel the above and explain to me what I have managed to do and how I would be much obliged.

Also, if Santa happens to have a set of 5.1 speakers to augment my soundblaster 5.1 digital card, will I have to follow Dolson's tutorial again to make them work ?????

again, many thanks for those hints/tips/ideas

regards

John

p.s. Is it just me or is slipknot's music a bit on the dark and spooky side?