Serious Sam for Linux

DOlson

I think that news post alone is enough for me to go out and buy the First Encounter. It will tide me over until the Second Encounter is released; which, as the message states, will hopefully be sometime in the future. Hopefully it will be closer to the near future.

Another Shooter?!?!

I think I'll stick to Quake 3 and Unreal Tourament 3 (when I decide to pick it up).

However,...

I just heard that Star Control 2 has been ported to Linux and is available as Ur-Quan Masters or something of that ilk...

Pretty soon there might be a whole genre of that type of game.

Another Shooter?!?!

I think I'll stick to Quake 3 and Unreal Tourament 3 (when I decide to pick it up).

However,...

I just heard that Star Control 2 has been ported to Linux and is available as Ur-Quan Masters or something of that ilk...

Pretty soon there might be a whole genre of that type of game.

Star control 2 was a really fun game, i would like to play it again if it was availible on linux

do you have a link?.

I found this

/********************************************************************************

*************/

Star Control 2 Port - - [posted by AlKini]

Toys for Bob has announced that they will be releasing a new port of Star Control 2. Here's the official announcement:

Toys for Bob is pleased to announce that we will be re-releasing "The Ur-Quan Masters", for modern operating systems. We will be using the 3DO version as our starting point, and although we don't have all the details worked out, just yet, we can share with you some of our goals (many of which were suggested by fans of the game. Thanks!):

* We plan to support Mac (both classic and OSX), Linux, and Windows.

* The game will be available free of charge.

* Players will be able to choose between text and voices.

* We're looking into the possibility of allowing for independant creation of language plug-ins.

* Data, such as graphics, fonts, music, voices, sound effects, and the script will be loaded from standard filetypes. This will allow fans to choose between classic music and 3DO music, or even import their own modifications into the game.

* Improved support for modern gamepads.

* We're looking into 2-player supermelee over the internet... Cross your fingers!

This list is by no means complete, and we'll continue to release more information as it becomes available. If you have any comments, we'd love to hear from you, and we'll be checking the comments at http://www.star-control.com/ on a regular basis.

Looking through the past news at star-control.com, it looks like the port will be using SDL, but just over a week ago TFB was asking for feedback on how well SDL worked. If any of you SDL coders have some advice for the TFB team, head on over to the forum regarding SDL and SC2.

Thanks, Judecca, for pointing this out.

/********************************************************************************

*************************/

<edit>

Found the source forge page

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

</edit>

Serious sam, i never considered it but as it only costs like $20 NZ($9 US) i will buy it just to have another game under linux.

Who cares if it's "another shooter" ???

It's a GAME and it runs on LINUX, *NATIVELY* That's the important part.

If we are gonna be so choosy about games, then no wonder we're getting next to none.

In this vein, there is a new game that has the zoom-in/out features of SC2, but is an industrial sports game... It's gonna be announced on LinuxGames.com in a short time, I think.

I have the game on my site: http://mdkxp.by-a.com/rpm/machineball.gz

Is Serious Sam going to be released as a downloadable port or a packaged Linux version???

I don't see the merit of buying Serious Sam if it is being ported by a third party and not reported as a Linux game sale.

If you want it to count as a Linux game sale, contact TuxGames and ask them if they could start selling it.

I have done the same.

Email: info@tuxgames.com

Okay, so it seems that since this is just a beta and it expires, you may not wanna rush out to get the game.

There may be a proper Linux release too. Keep your eyes peeled at the TuxGames website.

I got it. I saw it for $10.99 Canadian, and so I had to get it. I can always sell it later. :)

If it's not a proper publishing by LGP, I'll sometime donate a little bit of cash to icculus.org for Ryan.