OpenDarwin and DarwinPorts

tyme

For fun, I've decided to have a go at installing OpenDarwin (the base of OSX) on my x86, and then putting DarwinPorts on it. I choose DarwinPorts over Fink for the time being due to the fact that DarwinPorts has gnome 2.6.0 (I'm a gnome lover ;) ).

I plan to free up the space on my hard drive to begin this project tonight. I'll be posting my experiences here, and later posting an entire write-up over at Code Junkies which I will link to in this thread.

Unfortunately it would seem that my IDE controllers are not compatible. the CD boots, and goes through detecting some hardware, but locks up. I'm going to try OpenDarwin 6.6.2 instead of Darwin 7.0.1

we'll see what happens.

After considering the same a few weeks ago I saw a thread that said only Intel chipset were specifically well supported and a few amd/via's. It was suggested that you can try with a via BUT.... :wall:

...so I didn't even bother :devil:

• 2 months later...

no.

OpenDarwin is just the open(er) version of the BSD base of OS X known as Darwin. It doesn't include the OS X GUI. You'd just install XFree86 or xorg and whatever desktop like a normal linux distro.

no.

OpenDarwin is just the open(er) version of the BSD base of OS X known as Darwin.  It doesn't include the OS X GUI.  You'd just install XFree86 or xorg and whatever desktop like a normal linux distro.

I figured it was just too good to be true, are you guys messing around with it for any benefit or just plain curiosity?