mandrake 10 - opening tcp ports?

Guest dorkus

Guest dorkus

hi all,

i'm trying to open up port 27015 on my newly built Mandrake 10 box to run a half-life counterstrike server... i'm currently at "normal" security level (i also tried lowest security, no difference)... i removed tcp wrappers, which was causing me some headaches before, turned off the Shorewall firewall, and set up my /etc/sysconfig/iptables to allow incoming tcp on 27015. still no go... if i telnet localhost 27015, connection is refused. i also tried setting up hlds (half-life dedicated server) as a service with xinetd but that does not work so well since the point of xinetd (as i understand it) is to run services when called upon by an incoming connection, but i want to run the server at my discretion.

not being familiar with Mandrake's networking and security setup, i'm at a loss how to procede... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

cheers,

dorkus

It is my understanding that when you do

service shorewall stop

(Which is the command that is run by drakservices in MCC if you stop it from there or Webmin) it still blocks ports. You have to go into Webmin under Networking -> Shorewall and hit Clear (Something). With Webmin installed and running:

service webmin start

point your browser to https://localhost:10000 and login as root. It would be preferable just to add a rule to shorewall to ACCEPT tcp connections on that port and keep shorewall running.