Modem Problem "Not Winmodem either"

Dooley

Hi Folks;

I know modems have been a very well discussed subject in the forums but I would appreciate it if somone could give me a little insight as to why the modem I have installed will not work on MDK10.

When I try to set up the modem in the control panel I can't get it to do anything. I can go into the control panel and set everything up the way I think it should be setup, when I try to connect I get a dialog which says the modem is not setup correctly and when I go back to the control panel the dial up connection number has the first three numbers only and when I change it again the same things happens.

It is not a Winmodem and it has manual jumper settings although it is a internal ISA moden.

I am at a loss, the modem works fine in Knoppix 3.3 install on the hd.

Any suggestions, I sure would appreciate it. It sure seems a little silly to go and by something that works in other Linux distro.

Thanks very much

Dooley

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

Yup, deffinately kppp. Far and away the best linux dialer I know of.

THe other thing you could do is set up a symbolic link between whatever serial port that registers as or whatever, and /dev/modem

knoppix includes drivers for various winmodems. it is a distinct possibility that the modem could be a winmodem. since the make and model were not listed, it can not be verrified. mandrake does not include drivers for winmodems. which would explain part of the problem.

i also agree kppp is a great tool. in kppp querry the modem. if you get results starting with ATZ then you know that your modem is ready. (more than likely).

i know that my modem is not a winmodem. mine is a USR5610b. mine likes to use com 4. so i have to create a soft link from ttyS4 with /device/modem. if this isnt done, then my modem wont work. mine specifically says it works with linux.

please post your make and model of your modem.

Edited by linux_learner

Greetings,

i know that my modem is not a winmodem. mine is a USR5610b. mine likes to use com 4. so i have to create a soft link from ttyS4 with /device/modem. if this isnt done, then my modem wont work. mine specifically says it works with linux.

I hope no one will take offense at a little sidetrack, but I have the exact same modem (USR5610B) and I can't seem to connect with it at faster than 14.4 -- which makes no sense since it is a 56K modem. I'm using KPPP and the only way I could get it to work was to select /device/modem in KPPP, but I have not created any soft link or done anything beyond trying to configure it using KPPP and using Mandrake's network configuration tool. I have tried setting the modem speed (in KPPP) to 57K and 110K but neither setting seems to have any affect. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or how to test to see if my modem is functional? (Yes, query modem does work just fine so it "seems" to be working fine)

Thanks, and sorry for the sidetrack... I posted this problem once before and received no reply except someone saying my problem made no sense to him.

Sincerely,

Hugolino :help:

Greetings,

I hope no one will take offense at a little sidetrack, but I have the exact same modem (USR5610B) and I can't seem to connect with it at faster than 14.4 -- which makes no sense since it is a 56K modem. I'm using KPPP and the only way I could get it to work was to select /device/modem in KPPP, but I have not created any soft link or done anything beyond trying to configure it using KPPP and using Mandrake's network configuration tool. I have tried setting the modem speed (in KPPP) to 57K and 110K but neither setting seems to have any affect. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or how to test to see if my modem is functional? (Yes, query modem does work just fine so it "seems" to be working fine)

Thanks, and sorry for the sidetrack... I posted this problem once before and received no reply except someone saying my problem made no sense to him.

Sincerely,

Hugolino :help:

that model is a v.92 model. v.92's dont down shift verry well when they dont get a v.92 connection. as a result they connect at rediculous speeds. you will need to enter an init string to disable the v.92. once thats done it will surf fine.

that model is a v.92 model. v.92's dont down shift verry well when they dont get a v.92 connection. as a result they connect at rediculous speeds. you will need to enter an init string to disable the v.92. once thats done it will surf fine.

:o

:lol:

:D

:thumbs: That's great news!

:unsure: Now, may I ask what may seem to be two dumb questions?

When trying to work around this modem glitch I removed the US Robotics modem card and re-installed an older Conexant modem... only to have the antiquated drivers bug out and then reading in these forums that getting the Conexant modems to work in 10.0 is a bit of work indeed.

So, after reading your encouraging post about the US Robotics modems, I put the far newer US Robotics PCI card back in. But now I can't figure out what port the modem is at. Previously a symbolic link had been created to /dev/modem (I'm not sure how, but there had been much tinkering and re-installing of the OS). But now there's clearly no such symbolic link. My modem queries return no information now, and I've tried the four obvious links (ttyS0 - 4).

My first question is how I can find the modem's device location and create a symbolic link. I know the modem is there because (besides the fact I put it there with my own hands) it shows up under "Unknown Devices" in the Mandrake "Hardware" utility as a US Robotics 56K PCI modem.

My second question is what init string disables the v.92 ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,

Hugolino

My first question is how I can find the modem's device location and create a symbolic link.

I just stumbled across an easy answer to this question by looking through the product support pages of www.usrobotics.com

They have a RedHat package (3ComMdm-1.0-1.i386.rpm) which finds where the modem is located and creates a symbolic link for you. To get it to work, you just need to make sure that the rpm "setserial" (found on the Mandrake OE DVD) is installed first.

If only all such problems could be so easily solved! Now for the next one...

My second question is what init string disables the v.92 ?

:headbang: Hooray for U.S. Robotics (3Com)! :D

I wrote two e-mails to their technical support guys, and (after they learned I was using Linux and not Windows) they solved the problem with a long modem initialization string! How awesome!

6/10/2004

Re: Email ID 3184248

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for choosing U.S. Robotics. 

Try using the followng string:

AT&F1X3 +PMH=1 +PQC=3 +PIG=1

I would like to thank you for the opportunity to assist you.  Should you require

further assistance with your U.S. Robotics product, please feel free to contact us

again. 

Again, thank you for choosing U.S. Robotics.

If you need to reply to this message for more information or to answer any questions

we might have asked you, please click on Reply and include all previous

correspondence.  This allows us to track your issue more efficiently and to resolve

your issue more quickly.

Your feedback is important to us.  Please visit our web site at

http://www.usr.com/feedback in order to rate your support experience.

Sincerely,

Desmond

-----Original Message-----

Sent:10/06/04

Subject:Re: Case ID:3183453

Ah, but I can't use the Control Center because I'm using Mandrake Linux

(not Windows).  So to disable v.92 I would think that I'd need to use the

initialization code.

I tried to follow the user's guide and disable v.92 but I apparently did

so incorrectly because it didn't seem to change anything.  Even when I

tried to put in the initialization code requiring a minimum connection

speed of 33.6k it still kept connecting at 14k.  So I think I did not

understand the user's guide correctly.

Thank you for your help.

Three cheers for a company that actually is able to help clueless Linux users! And three cheers for you guys for helping me to narrow down the problem in the first place! :D