Raw Bleeding newbie to Mandrake 9.2

Guest Agentbolt

Guest Agentbolt

Hi guys,

I'm not sure where to start with a question like this, but this looks good.

I JUST got introduced to Linux like 2 days ago, and I figured I wanted to try it out. I've got a dual boot system here with LILO, WinXP and Mandrake 9.2

Through XP I know that my sound system and internet connection work fine. And under Mandrake, in the hardware configuration area, it recognizes both of them fine. It could be a driver issue, but since both of these are run onboard by the motherboard, I'm wondering if maybe Mandrake isn't compatible with them? I didn't check on the website but it's such a well known model that I can't believe it wouldn't be supported.

My specs:

Abit NF7 Rev. 2 motherboard

AMD Athlon processor (2500 OCed to 3200 thru BIOS)

512 MB Geil RAM

ATI Radeon 9800SE Vid Card

Nothing at all obscure there, it's a configuration a lot of people use. Anyways, when Mandrake is booting, nothing fails. When it's closing, it mentions NMB services failing (SMB services close okay) then a few lines later down it says it is initializing "kill all" and both NMB and SMB services fail to close. Those aren't referring to the northbridge or southbridge of my motherboard, are they?

Anyways, the hardware manager does recognize all my hardware fine and says it's all working correctly. Sound and network are the only two functions that aren't working.

I know next to nothing at all about Linux, if someone could take pity on me and explain what I should try doing to fix the situation, I would be eternally grateful.

Kyle

Hi guys,

I'm not sure where to start with a question like this, but this looks good.

I JUST got introduced to Linux like 2 days ago, and I figured I wanted to try it out. I've got a dual boot system here with LILO, WinXP and Mandrake 9.2

Through XP I know that my sound system and internet connection work fine. And under Mandrake, in the hardware configuration area, it recognizes both of them fine. It could be a driver issue, but since both of these are run onboard by the motherboard, I'm wondering if maybe Mandrake isn't compatible with them? I didn't check on the website but it's such a well known model that I can't believe it wouldn't be supported.

My specs:

Abit NF7 Rev. 2 motherboard

AMD Athlon processor (2500 OCed to 3200 thru BIOS)

512 MB Geil RAM

ATI Radeon 9800SE Vid Card

Nothing at all obscure there, it's a configuration a lot of people use. Anyways, when Mandrake is booting, nothing fails. When it's closing, it mentions NMB services failing (SMB services close okay) then a few lines later down it says it is initializing "kill all" and both NMB and SMB services fail to close. Those aren't referring to the northbridge or southbridge of my motherboard, are they?

Anyways, the hardware manager does recognize all my hardware fine and says it's all working correctly. Sound and network are the only two functions that aren't working.

I know next to nothing at all about Linux, if someone could take pity on me and explain what I should try doing to fix the situation, I would be eternally grateful.

Kyle

Dont worry about the NMB and SMB. they arent your motherboards NOrth and SOuth bridges. Just ignore that..

I assume that the modem on your motherboard is dialup?

In that case follow these instructions i wrote on how to deal with dial up modems -- winmodems

http://aslan.no-ip.com/~iphitus/linux/cont...t.php?content.2

For the sound, Could you run lspci -v and copy here what it says.

Keep going!

iphitus

I have the same problem with no sound too....

Perhaps you can fix mine too? :D

When I enter that command get this response.

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8374 P4X400 Host Controller/AGP Br idge (rev 03)

Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device b003

Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 8

Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)

Capabilities: <available only to root>

00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 PCI Bridge (prog-if 00 [Normal  decode])

Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0

Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0

I/O behind bridge: 0000c000-0000cfff

Memory behind bridge: e8000000-e9ffffff

Prefetchable memory behind bridge: d0000000-dfffffff

00:0a.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture ( rev 11)

Subsystem: Pinnacle Systems, Inc. (Wrong ID) PCTV pro (TV + FM stereo re ceiver)

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 18

Memory at ea000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)

00:0a.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 11 )

Subsystem: Pinnacle Systems, Inc. (Wrong ID) PCTV pro (TV + FM stereo re ceiver, audio section)

Memory at ea001000 (32-bit, prefetchable)

00:0e.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3053 (rev 96 )

Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 0106

I/O ports at d000

Memory at ea002000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80) (prog-if 00 [uHCI])

Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 21

I/O ports at d400

00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80) (prog-if 00 [uHCI])

I/O ports at d800

00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80) (prog-if 00 [uHCI])

I/O ports at dc00

00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82) (prog-if 20 [EHC I])

Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 19

Memory at ea003000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge

Flags: bus master, stepping, medium devsel, latency 0

00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT8233/A/ C/VT8235 PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16

I/O ports at e000

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235 AC97 A udio Controller (rev 50)

Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 22

I/O ports at e400

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [siS] SiS315PRO PC I/AGP VGA Display Adapter (prog-if 00 [VGA])

Subsystem: Elitegroup Computer Systems: Unknown device 0c26

Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 39, IRQ 16

BIST result: 00

Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)

Memory at e9000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

I/O ports at c000

Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled

Guest Agentbolt

Thanks for the hint man, I'll run that line in I'm assuming the Terminal as soon as possible. However, my onboard internet is a LAN connection, sorry to have not made that apparent at first. It's not really a modem, it's the LAN connection I'm trying to set up. When I run the Wizard it either says "No Ethernet Card detected" if I try to set up a cable connection, or it just does nothing at all and brings me back to the setup list if I try to install my LAN.

Edited by Agentbolt

If you're using the stock kernel with 9.2, you'll probably need to install the nvidia drivers. Click on the "Downloads" link at the top of the page and get the 0261 src.rpm.

You'll also need to get your kernel source. Type "uname -r" (no quotes) to see what kernel you are running and download the matching kernel source from http://www.kernel.org

Install the kernel source rpm first, then compile and install the nvidia src.rpm using

"rpmbuild --rebuild name-of-file.src.rpm" as root. That will build a rpm for you and put it in /usr/src/somewhere (I forget where exactly,I'm not on Linux right now). Near the end of the compilation there'll be a line telling you where the file went. Install the rpm

If all goes well, run Drakconnect, select the nvnet driver and you should have a working LAN

There's another thread on this here, which might give more details

Guest Agentbolt

No Dice.

I've installed the source for my Kernel (2.4.22) and that all went fine. When I went to the terminal to have it compile the 0261 src.rpm file, it gave me two errors

*CANNOT WRITE TO %SOURCE/blah/blah*

*0261 src.rpm cannot be installed*

I have plenty of free space and I was Root when I did it, but it didn't want to install it. I did accidently just double click the 0261 src.rpm file after I installed the source, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Any other ideas? Sorry :wall:

What command did you use to compile the src.rpm?

If I had downloaded the file to /home/downloads, for instance, I would cd to that directory, then su to root and put

rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.src.rpm

Don't forget, case-sensitive

It seems from the error you gave that the name of the src rpm wasn't complete, unless you edited the error

Guest Agentbolt

Hey all,

Doing a quick search indicated that I needed to be in the Terminal as Root to be able to install any of this stuff (duh) so I figured out how to switch users, installed the package and everything works well now.

Thanks for all your help

Edited by Agentbolt