MandrivaUsers.org : Internet connection problems - MandrivaUsers.org

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Internet connection problems

#1 Guest_gilanor_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 May 2004 - 10:03 PM

Using an alcatel speedtouch 330 modem with Mandrake 10 newly installed.

When i installed it i wasn't connected to the interenet and it installed fine no issues with anything. Then i plugged in the modem and managed to transfer the micrcode from the windows partition as recommended in the configuration. The modem seems to be attached and working fine.

Then i tried to set up the internet connection and to be fair im a little out of my depth here. I can follow whats its asking right up until i have to select a driver(i think it said that i cant check right now) so i chose the usb looking one and it seemed to detect fine and knowing that ADSL usually runs off pppoe i chose that option then when it was testing the connection the LED on the modem would flash orange then green for a while and not really do anything much.

Net result i cant get it working no matter what options i choose.

#2 User is offline   spinynorman 

• Not a Mandriva Guru
  • View blog
  • Group: Admin

Posted 21 May 2004 - 11:34 PM

Welcome to the board. :)/>

As the modem seems to be working fine, you could try turning off your firewall temporarily to check if shorewall is the problem.

As you can see below, I have a speedtouch and 9.1, and my only problem was the firewall - users have had different issues with 9.2 and again with 10.

I changed to iptables instead of fixing shorewall, but I think this is the way to do it: edit /etc/shorewall/interfaces, replacing
net     eth0     detect
with
net     ppp0     -

and put this line in /etc/shorewall/routestopped:
ppp0

Good luck!
Posted Image Track Bugs at Bugzilla Posted Image
ASUS Terminator P4 1.7 GHz; 256MB DDR RAM; 40GB; 7200 rpm U-DMA ATA-100 IDE HD; Hansol H530 TFT monitor; 16x48 DVD; 40x12x48 CD-RW; Netgear DG834G; Epson Stylus C62; Mandriva 2008.1

#3 Guest_gilanor_*

Posted 22 May 2004 - 08:23 PM

I dont think i have the firewall on there and if i did then i have managed to disable it by accident anyway so that wasnt the problem.

#4 User is offline   spinynorman 

• Not a Mandriva Guru
  • View blog

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:45 PM

I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but have you set the security level very high? This might prevent you connecting. :unsure:/>

While I'm grasping at straws, are you using a boxed set or download; 10 CE or OE? Have you got all the updates? The information may help someone who's using 10.0 to help you.

Have you used the search facility? There are a number of threads about speedtouch.

#5 Guest_gilanor_*

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:21 PM

I got the downloaded version.

Its ok im actually quite worried with how little i understand linux in general after being a windows programmer for 5 or 6 years now! So its not insulting my intelligence its ok.

I did about an hour searching through topics all over the net before i decided to post and couldnt find anything but its probably something obviously stupid so ill keep searching.

Thx anyway :)/>

#6 User is offline   spinynorman 

• Not a Mandriva Guru
  • View blog

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:56 PM

I've rediscovered this post of mine...

... support for the modem in 10 is now provided in the kernel, but there are references to 'speedtch' in /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modprobe.conf which prevent it working. There are updates to rectify this, so the future looks brighter!

I presume that you've downloaded 10 Community Edition (unless you're a Mandrake Club member), so you probably need this update, or you could just remove references to 'speedtch' from the above files yourself... :unsure:/>

If that doesn't work, try this search of our site for more ideas.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users