CodeJunkies RPM Building

tyme

I recently built an RPM for the MS Core Fonts.

Qchem has talked me into continuing this trend and building some more RPMs. I'm sure some of you remember a while back when myself and a couple others built Athlon-XP rpm's for Mandrake (was it 9.1?). These have since disappeared, and are even obsolete. So, in light of my recent return to Mandrake (as of 10.0 OE) and my renewed interest in building packages, I'd like to request something of you guys!

Give me programs!

That is, if there is a program that you think would be great to have in Mandrake 10.0 OE, post it here. If you see one posted that you'd like to see, second it's "nomination". Eventually I'll move this over to my http://codejunkies.geektyme.org site, in an attempt to make it more organized, but first I have to get that site up and running :)

Basic guidelines:

• The program must not already exist on a repository somewhere. Check other well-known repo's prior to nominating. If the program exists, but a new version has been released with lots of improvements, I may consider building an rpm.
  • The program must be something that a lot of users would find useful. However, feel free to nominate things even if they don't seem to have a huge interest. Maybe other users will visit it's site and become interested, or maybe I'll just take a personal interest in it ;)

That's really about it for now. I'll probably refine this, and I may not get to starting this work until next week (I'm going away for the weekend) so be patient and try not to flood me with requests :)

If anyone is -seriously- interested in helping, let me know. I intended for Code Junkies to host various program projects, this may be just one!

-tyme

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep how about athalon optimized (or even AMD64 ...) MM codecs etc,

from xine,xmms,mplayer and all codecs since these are the IMHO things that benefit the most from proper compilation and theextra instructions.

I dont mind helping out ....but my free time can be erratic.

Reason I bought it up was the results of the AMD vs Intel poll. Mixed with seeing a lot of Debs like mplayer-k7 ...

And

They are less likely to be made obsolete... quickly (or even before anyone gets chance to download em)

OK next suggestion.....

How about some extra themes and artwork.

I know your a flux guy .... but Texstar left a gap.

Hey urpmi mub-theme

cool......

a desktop based on MUB .....

tyme,

I'd like to suggest:

(1) Krecipes: http://krecipes.sourceforge.net/

It's great! I've built an rpm for 9.2, but not yet for 10.0. You need SQlite, comes with MDK. - This should be a default app in main or contrib - but nobody cares :wall:

Maybe the dev forgot about the real cooking?

(2) KIso: http://kiso.sourceforge.net/

Everything and more about mounting and manipulating iso files, in graphical mode, similiar to Winiso. Have not tried it yet.

Bastille. Still the best tool I've ever seen for setting up networking, firewalling and overall system permissions all in one friggin' Swiss Army Knife of Linux security. Just terrific, nothing else like it. Gone from Mandrake since 8.2. I installed it on 9.2 with a tweak, but I don't have my test box with 10.0 installed anymore, so I can't fool around to see if Bastille works with 10.0 or build a rpm myself. Had to use my spare box for evil Windoze purposes at work before I tried it out on 10.0.

Deserves a rpm for sure so more users can take advantage of it.

Yep how about athalon optimized (or even AMD64 ...) MM codecs etc, 

from xine,xmms,mplayer and all codecs since these are the IMHO things that benefit the most from proper compilation and theextra instructions. 

I dont mind helping out ....but my free time can be erratic.

Do you mean opimized for athlon-xp or just plain athlon? Since I'm using athlon-thunderbird, I've build all my rpm's with athlon-thunderbird as optimisation, .. Don't know if a lot of people use athlon-thunderbird or do the most users here use athlon-xp.

Say I would optimise for athlon in generla from now on, would the optimisation be a lot different when I would optimise for my athlon-thunderbird? Any idea?

Another thing ... I'm trying to make my spec-files follow mandrake's name convention for easier rpm-downloading when I want to download using urpmi... I suppose I shoudl finally make work otf that then :). A reason that makes my life also easier :). I'm learning this spec-stuff, so I don't want to use mandrake's...only look at them for tips when the compiling won't work :). Mayeb you don't feel comfortable I'm using this ...

I have made spec-files for almost all the codecs that xine can be dependent on (the main stuff anyway), so that wouldn't be a lof of extra work for me. Since I want to have support for as much as possible myself: ogg, speex, theora, flac, xvid, ffmpeg, a52, ... and a lot of stuff these things are dependent on. Just for the fun of it and when I would have some spare time.. I maybe can compile some stuff for athjlon-64, but UI wouldn't be able to try it myself :), but just because it is new :D... and it only takes changing a paramter :D.

I won't optimise for athlon-xp (can't use that myself ..sorry..ok maybe one from time to time ... ) If someone is willing to do that and a lot of users have athlon-xp's.... I suppose he/she would be better suited for contributing.

I would like athlon-optimised stuff myself... I suppose it helps a little bit :).

Edited by Michel

How about rpms for bleeding edge new versions of Fluxbox?

Yes, I know an old version is available via urpmi, but c'mon. :)

Note: if this post is annoying because it mentions a popular program rather than something which may be obscure and thus doesn't fit to the requested parameters of guidelines within the inital post to this thread, feel free to delete this post. :)

Edited by furfurdemon666

How about rpms for bleeding edge new versions of Fluxbox?

Yes, I know an old version is available via urpmi, but c'mon. :)

Note: if this post is annoying because it mentions a popular program rather than something which may be obscure and thus doesn't fit to the requested parameters of guidelines within the inital post to this thread, feel free to delete this post. :)

The development version of fluxbox is in the cooker repository for urpmi. It's in cooker's contrib.

You can also find the latest and greatest version of Fluxbox at http://rpmfind.net

(1) Krecipes

(2) KIso:

I'm not a huge KDE fan ;) but I'll look into them. maybe i'll do them as a favor to you B) since you gave us the livecd how-to :thumbs:

Bastille. Still the best tool I've ever seen for setting up networking, firewalling and overall system permissions all in one friggin' Swiss Army Knife of Linux security.
Bastille may be a bit more work than I'm looking for right now, but I will look into it.

if this post is annoying because it mentions a popular program rather than something which may be obscure and thus doesn't fit to the requested parameters of guidelines within the inital post to this thread, feel free to delete this post.

i didn't say the program had to be obscure :-P just said try to find an RPM for it prior to requesting one. LZ has pointed you to one, but if that's not the most recent devel release let me know and I may consider building the most recent one (if there are significant differences).

just a few things: At first I plan on focusing mainly on programs, not kernels or kernel extensions - but I may do them later. for now my main focus is programs (specifically desktop apps).

PerlPanel: seems pretty nice to a non-Gnomer and non-KDEr like I am (XFCE4 :thumbs:). I know there's an RPM available on their website, but it doesn't seem to recognise Mandrake RPMs correctly.

Hey, if it's really light (which I assume), you may want to add it to your Flux desktop! [nudge nudge wink wink]

http://jodrell.net/projects/perlpanel

if this post is annoying because it mentions a popular program rather than something which may be obscure and thus doesn't fit to the requested parameters of guidelines within the inital post to this thread, feel free to delete this post.

i didn't say the program had to be obscure :-P just said try to find an RPM for it prior to requesting one. LZ has pointed you to one, but if that's not the most recent devel release let me know and I may consider building the most recent one (if there are significant differences).

Just to chime in here:

In some instances, the cooker RPM isn't up to date with the current release cycle. I noticed this about the time 0.9.7 was released and the mdk rpm was still 0.9.5. This seems to have been fixed now, though. You can see in my sig what version of flux cooker currently has. I update that portion of my signature every time a new flux is installed on my laptop.