Best Mandrake to USE? 9.2 or 10 community

psycho-killer

You did not say what kind of computer you got, but If you have some newer equipment then 10.0 is better since the 2.6.x kernel will be more likely to handle the compatablility. 9.2 has more bugs worked out though, so if it does everything for you then you might want to start with that and then go to 10.0 final when it is released in a month or two. They are both free so load each of them and see what works better for you.

another vote for 9.2 here. 10.0 is chock full of bugs & problems, from what i gather. (read the numerous 10.0 posts here & abroad) i have 9.2 & it's very stable for me & hasn't given me any problems. just make sure you get any available updates, bug fixes, security fixes, etc. right after you install, no matter which version you choose.

(/me whispers install 9.2 & save yourself some headaches.....)

Chris

ditto... 9.2

Read up on this releases errata at http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/92errata.php3 and be warned of the infamous LG problem, http://www.MandrakeUsers.org/index.php?showtopic=9559

and be sure to install those updates right away. Seems like a lot, but is worth it.

Anyone know anything about the 9.2.1 release to clubmembers? Any chance of snagging this one?

If you want something that is stable, get 9.2 plus updates..

If you want to play around with the latest, even though it's a bit buggy, 10 CE is ok..

Me.. the only thing that prevent my from using 10 CE is internet connection.

I too vote for 9.2, use it to get more familar with mandrake and linux, then get 10 when the final/offical/community-offical/bugfixed{??}/final/............... :D , or whatver its going to be called(ok "Offical"), when it comes out. But do all your updates with 9.2, to avoid as many bugs as possible.

Whatever we call CE unless you wanna update every day then stick with 9.2

10 looked really nice for me and actually installed great BUT the updates are coming thick and fast.

Whatever we call it its a TEST release prior to OFFICIAL and as such if you use it without bug fixes then .... well its your own problem :D

Each new bugfix on 10.0 seems to bring 5-6 new bugs .. etc. so you really need to be fixinhg ever day... thats hundreds and hundreds of MB of fixes and fixes of fixes etc.

Once you UPDATE 9.2 you will have a stable system.

Thats it, unless soemthing REALLY bizarre happens... then 10.0 OFFICIAL can be your next release.

9.2 works beautifully on this machine.

10C can't mount a cd without locking up.

Vote? 9.2 all the way.