MandrivaUsers.org : Updates to the Kernel - MandrivaUsers.org

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Updates to the Kernel Do you update your Kernel?

#1 User is offline   grendal 

• it's u not me
  • Group: OTW

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:31 PM

The other day I updated the Kernel on my desktop, then my laptop on my Mint 17.1 installs. As I was doing it, I realized that while I keep my system updated all the time, rarely do I update my Kernel. Am I alone in this? I can still remember using the command line in Mandriva, or was it still Mandrake, 9.1 to update my kernel and being worried that I was about to fork my install. Now, in Mint I can simply choose a kernel, apply and reboot to use it. For the average users, how important are the kernel updates?
......And I would give my dreams, If I could be awake. / Whatever you're looking for, Don't ever start looking behind. Whatever you want to change, You better start changing your mind.'Cause everything can be done, Stand up 'cause this is your time.....Stranger in Your Soul, Transatlantic

#2 User is offline   ianw1974 

• Platinum
  • View blog
  • Group: Admin

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

When I used Mint, it updates automatically, same as on Ubuntu, as they are the linux-image-x.xx.x-xx-generic (where x.xx.x-xx is the kernel version). Most distros update the kernel automatically when one becomes available. Same happened for me with RHEL/CentOS/Mandriva. With Gentoo it installs with the emerge, but then you have to manually build and compile it.
Ian Walker

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.........

My Linux Solutions | Linux Systems Limited

#3 User is offline   paul 

• Kimalicious
  • View blog
  • Group: Admin

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:05 PM

aptitude safe-upgrade :)/>

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic