Mandrake 10.0 ****** up my HD

aze

Hey guys!

I just installed mdk 10 distro but I cant boot up any more.

I tried to boot up with windows xp cd but nothing happens.

my hd is a Maxtor 80Gb. I have installed windows xp and mandrake 9.2 but after mdk10 installation I cant access fat32!

:wall::wall::wall:

please guys, its urgent

thanks for any help!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy solution, remove all partitions, reformat the drive, reinstall everything.

But I don't that is what you are wanting to do. When you say that you can't boot up anymore, what exactly do you mean? What boot loader are you using, LILO? Do you get the boot loader? Can you boot into Mandrake? Do you have a boot floppy for Mandrake that you can use to boot into it?

Depending on the answers to the above, there is a way that you can boot from the Mandrake install cd and enter rescue mode. this will allow you to mount your Mandrake filesystem and rerun LILO to try and solve the booting problem.

What does it do when you try to boot into XP? Are you sure XP is still there?

It's a known bug in mdk10 installer. The easy solution is to go into your bios and change the hard drive from "Auto" to "LBA". You should then be able to boot into windows. The mdk partitioning tool writes partition info to the mbr in a way that windows can't handle if you make any partitions with it.

Edited by pmpatrick

It's a known bug in mdk10 installer. The easy solution is to go into your bios and change the hard drive from "Auto" to "LBA". You should then be able to boot into windows. The mdk partitioning tool writes partition info to the mbr in a way that windows can't handle if you make any partitions with it.

Yes I also got stung with this bug and yes it's a really bad one!! I can't believe there is not more fuss made over this bug!!

Going into my bios and setting it to 'LBA' DID NOT fix the problem for me as it was already set on 'LBA'. It seems to have worked for some others though. You are correct in saying that it is the MDK 10 partitioning tool that ruins the partition table.

*****WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T WRITE TO THE PARTITION TABLE WITH MDK 10.0. or it will corrupt it!!

For me, once the table was corrupted I had to wipe the table to get windows to install/boot again, and take note, wiping the partition table meant that I lost everything on that hard drive. Just re-installing windows did not make the problem dissappear. All I kept getting was a linking cursor!

Many people have this same issue see below for links:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...topic=12218&hl=

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/sh...15&pagenumber=1

The only way I could get windwos working was the use the NASTY command:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1000 count=1000

This enabled me to re-install everything again, this time I use MDK 9.2 to do all my partition first, then installed WinXP, then MDK 10.0 and everything was OK this time!!

***UPDATE*** Check out this bug report, it may help solve the problem for your as it is now apparantly resolved.

https://qa.mandrakesoft.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7959

I have been using mandrake since version 7.02.

Now I will stop to use it !!

I already lost my LG cdrom and now my 80gb maxtor hd!

mandrake = virus :furious3:

i'm leaving mandrake permanently. moving to redhat...

i'm tired of so many bugs on mandrake,

You guys helped me a lot in this forum (thank you guys!)

Maybe we can met ourself again in others forums.

thank you guys!

Your LG drive can be revived without much trouble. And don't blame it on Mandrake, buy better products instead of hastily engineered crap.

I had this problem and it was not nice but not too hard to fix.

For this current bug, very nasty and very bad. Ocilent, good that you reported too.

Other than that, if you ditch windows instead of Mandrake, the problem is also solved. :D

If not, enjoy linux - whichever distro. Don't think you'll be doing RH, since you won't want to spend 690US$ per year, go for Fedora Core....

Common Aze, cool down a bit. This is not the fault of anybody on this forum... I understand it is painful to have to go through this, but don't work it out on other people.

And whatever you plan to do, I hope you will be able to sort things out.

Wow aze, I'm amazed at your choice of words.

Not in the least because I don't think I ever said anything to deserve such a comment.

I indicate that your cdrom drive is not lost to you, even though YOU thought so, and that it was a badly engineered piece, something that everyone agreed to at the time this bug reared its head.

Then I agree that the HD bug you have come across is really a big problem.

After that I propose, in jest - read the smiley - , that you may want to just ditch windows.

Next I wish you the best, whichever distro you choose to use, and you send me 4 stars?

I feel that that tells more about you than I and possibly others actually wanted to know.

As an aside, thanks Darkelve, for trying to improve the situation.

This is very easy to avoid: Use System Commander for your boot manager! You install it in dos or windows and then install LiLo or Grub in the root partition. The current version handles reiserFS.

I have Partition Commander, which comes with System Commander Personal Edition.

The curent SC/SCPE also handles WinXP.

the problem is that since i installed the mandrakelinux 10 comunity it C-O-R-R-U-P-T-E-D my HD's mbr sector! I bougth the better hd I could and you (aRTee) say me to buy a better hardaware?!! ** ...

my hd isnt accessible anymore! i'm really furious! i trusted mandrake linux. every where i gone i said only good things about this OS.

there's no order on the developers comunity! this is a beta or RC release? why the don't say this on www.mandrakelinux.com?

You guys are good guys! you all help me a lot.

Hey! im a linux newbie but not a HD newbie! I use custom partition and format tools and have experience with HDs. If my HD was a sansung I'd buy a new with no problem but its a 7200rpm 80gb maxtor. now i'll need to back up 80gb and say to the vendor: "This hd isnt good because mandrake ****** up its mbr! Change it for me pls"

I never heard something like that on other distros...

For me, a software that damages the hardware is a virus!

mandrake is a virus!

mandrake is a virus!

mandrake is a virus!

do you even know why the hard drive got screwed up? are you sure it was mandrake's fault? are you sure you burnt the cd's right? did you md5sum them? did you try using one of the tools you speak of using to recover the mbr? have you tried doing it w/your windows cd? have you tried any of the suggestions in this thread? or are you just complaining and throwing out accusations?

i believe aRTee was referring to your cdrom drive, not your hard drive-btw.

Edited by tyme