Mandrake 10.0 ****** up my HD

aze

Similar problem with xp and 10.0 the way I found arround it was to boot into mandrake transfer the stuff off then delete all partions using fdisk and reinstall XP onto the unformated drive. If it's stuffed up the mbr use an older Mandrake to fix the partions (if you backed them up). Then use rescue mode and chroot to set up lilo. Transfer the stuff off then reinstall XP using the steps above.

Remember this is still a demi RC and it's job IS to find these sorts of bugs so they can be fixed before 10.0 Official!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aze said this:

"my hd isnt accessible anymore! i'm really furious! i trusted mandrake linux. every where i gone i said only good things about this OS"

if you use the maxtor hard drive tools can low level format your hard drive and reinstall everything again....and you will till have your 80gb hd!

to be honest i had more problems with fedora than with mdk 9.1 and i also tried mdk 10 it messed up my wins xp the only thing i have about wins xp is the stupid registration and all the new virus coming up....you have no idea how many times i needed to reinstall wins xp on my kids pc.....all because of viruses!

let me list some fedora problems (btw i also use fedora)

1. xmms media player not good (on mdk 9.1 i just placed mouse curser and it plays mp3 on the spot)

2. no video player for movies

3. lexmark printer does not work

4. mounting nfts partions is a headache (easy under mdk and you can write under mdk not in fedora is read only)

5. burning software not good (excellent kb3 in mdk)

and i cant keep counting....and counting..... :screwy:

i think you can work something out....and good luck to you!

I don't use Partition Magic, cause my experience with it, is it sucks. I use Partition Commander version 8 and System Commander Personal Edition. PC does ReiserFS and SCPE handles both ReiserFS and Win XP. It is a perfect combo.

I haven't had any of the problem described in this thread.

However, doing a low level format takes a LONG time. You should only need to do 10 percent of the drive or so.

If you have a boot floppy or rescue floppy from win98/SE, just use FDISK /MBR and it will write out a windows MBR to hda.

I use PC to do my partitioning tasks and SCPE to handle my boot managment.

Another tool that can be used to recover your hard drive is efdisk. First, follow the advise in the above post about the fdisk /mbr command. That will wipe out lilo or grub in the mbr. Doing this will allow you to boot windows. Once that is done, do google search for efdisk.

It usually comes zipped in a package with some other utilites. All you need is the efdisk.exe after you unzip the package. Delete the rest of the programs that came with it. Copy efdisk to your windows boot floppy (you may have to move the tab on the floppy to allow writing to the floppy first). After you have a copy of efdisk on the floppy, write protect the floppy again. Reboot using the floppy. At the dos A prompt, type the command efdisk.

Using efdisk will allow you to delete any partition type on your hard drive. (fdisk does not do this, only window type partions).

Once you have deleted all your partitions, you can now repartition your hard drive. No more messed or trashed hard drive. (though you will have to reinstall your windows and linux, you will have a hard drive that is now the same as when you bought it)

Any questions on using efdisk, post and will do my best to answer.

Regards, Steve

I installed mdk10rc1 with WinXp with no problems.

Bios set to auto etc. Never had any problems, but the system is slowing somewhat in mdk. I'll look into that.

Did someone recommend to aze to use the XP cd to 'FIXMBR' or did I miss that part. Did he try this and fail?

I just experienced a somewhat similar trashing, this time my doing. I'm trying to install 10rc1 on my new raid setup and trashed mbr and couldn't boot.

I got a whole bunch of 9's on screen at one stage, then FIXMBR'ed with the XP cd.

Got windows back. Is it a good idea to use FDISK /MBR on a XP system?

Good luck aze.

And if someone knows a lot about installing on a raid setup......

cheers.

My experience with XP is limited. I prefer 98 until some more issues are fixed with XP. BUT, I do have a laptop with XP on it. When I installed v10ce, it did (reason unknown) mess up my MBR. I could not boot either XP or linux.

I used a window98 boot disk (was all I had as the XP was part of the HP restore disks). I typed the command fdisk /MBR and then rebooted. I could then use XP.

So to anwer your question:

Is it a good idea to use FDISK /MBR on a XP system?

I do not know, but in my case, using the fdisk /mbr worked perfectly and allowed me to boot windows XP. I just need to figure out what the issue was when linux installed the bootloader (lilo) that caused the mbr to become corrupted to the point that XP and linux would not boot.

Regards, Steve

Edited by SteveAmbrose

I'm back here

I need to move my HD as slave to another machine and backup all my files. Then I formated entire disk using ontrack disk manager. Many people said that fixed the prblem booting with xp cd and fixmbr command. As I said: i tried everything the point is that the HD was not recognized when booting with any micro$oft boot.

Someone said that MandrakeLinux 10.0 Community is beta. I don't believe that! On the oficial web site (where I downloaded th isos) don't mean anything about it's being a beta version.

Really guys, I want to continue with mandrake. I want to install mandrake 10 but I don't want "lost" my HD again.

ppl didn't believe the earth was round either, but no, it's not a beta, it's an rc. Hey, I didn't know either until ppl said so on this board, but I didn't read what mandrake had to say either. Call it what you want, but according to mandrake it is NOT the Official (Final) version of 10. Why I thought 'Community Edition' was I haven't a clue.

You want 10? Wait for 10, it's really that simple.......that's what I'm doing. Waiting.

Official != Final

This is the Community Edition. Call it such. Let's stop reffering to it as an "RC" or a "beta"-it's not even part of one of these categories. It is the Community Edition. If people would just accept that, maybe everyone would stop argueing over it.

No, argh...

It used to be:

beta(s), rc(s), final (problematic, since not well tested)

Now it is:

beta(s), rc(s), CE (problematic, since not well tested), OE (more robust and polished, since well tested)

Nowhere is indicated by Mandrake that CE is an RC, it is CE. Before, they might have spun another rc, then 2 weeks later done a final that would have had most of the problems that CE now has, since it would not have been tested enough.

OE is not final any more than CE is an rc. THERE IS NO MORE FINAL, just an CE and then an OE.

Compare to debian, or fedora/RH. It is quite similar to FC/RH except that with RH you can't just get/download the isos that go onto the boxed sets.

what ppl need to accept is that with 10 there is no rc2 like there always has been because CE is it. CE=RC. I didn't say that.....Mandrake did, by definition.

just because the had an RC2 previously doesn't mean they have to have an RC2 this time also. people have as many RC's as they feel are necessary.

CE = Community Edition

OE = Official Edition

that's what mandrake said. that's what they've been saying. that's all I'm saying.

I don't want to argue sematics here so I'll just relate my experience. I installed mdk10 on March12 and there were 300MB of updates on the update site which I installed. Not that unusual for a mandrake final release. I've run the updates every day since installation and have been averaging about 100MB a day. These are all classified "bug fixes" by the way. That's real unusual for an mdk final release. I don't know how many times I've downloaded and installed the bulk of the kde libs from update, but it seems to be every other day. It's obvious to me from my experience that mdk10-ce departs significantly from what I've come to expect in an mdk final release. I think it's also fair to say that mandrake was less than clear in what you where getting when you downloaded and installed mdk10-ce.

Not that all this is a bad thing. In fact, I think it's quite good. I have never seen such a furious level of activity in finding and patching bugs in previous releases with the rc procedure. I think they are really trying to make sure that the "Official" release is as solid as it can be. And I don't mind using ce and reporting the bugs I find to help out. Of course, I didn't have my mbr corrupted. :D

At any rate, if your going to install CE, go into it with your eyes open and know what your getting into. CE is a shakedown cruise for the final or official version and there is a very high level of patching and bug fixing going on.